New boots

steve2

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good make of waterproof walking boots? It would seem from what I have read that those that are aimed at fishermen are not that waterproof. Need them for fishing and walking. No set budget just need a good pair.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have the Chris Brashers, relatively pricey but it's the old story of getting what you pay for.
I,ve had them since the early nineties and feel pretty sure they will last me out.
I go for regular rambles in my locale as well as the the odd trip further afield, they have never let me down.
Since buying mine my wife has purchased a pair that have the goretex lining that seem to be even better.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I too have a pair of Brasher Hillmasters from that period and they've been excellent. But like so many other products, there seems to be general agreement on the walking/outdoor forums that the quality has taken a downward turn in recent years.

I think the best approach is to visit a shop where the staff know what they're talking about (e.g. Blacks), ask for advice and then try on as many different pairs as possible.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have several pairs of walking/hiking boots and meindl are my favourites...meindl Himalayas are superb.

Meindl Himalaya Gore Tex MFS : Men’s Walking Boots : Snowleader

These are great also...

Meindl Vakuum Men GTX MFS Walking Boots - Dark Brown + Free Proofing | Outdoor Clothing at Hill and Dale Outdoors

Scarpa's are another good boot.

I wouldn't wear them for fishing though, unless I was just walking on solid ground as I don't think any walking boot is made to get wet through as often as they do when I go fishing.
Instead of boots I wear wellies, Aigle ISO's are a snug fit and are made for walking. I've used them for over 10yrs now and am on my second pair. I walked several thousand miles in my first pair before I had to replace them.

steve2

Reaction score
Thanks I was looking various Gortex Boots so may be I will need 2 different types of boots to cover walking and fishing.

rayner

Reaction score
I have a pair of Karrimore boots from Sports Direct. They were around £40.
Totally waterproof, good strong boots. The sole is on the stiff side, comfortable and very warm. I suppose feet are just warmer when they're dry.
A decent cheap boot.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you'd prefer to keep costs low, whilst retaining quality, have a look for some of the MoD issue Haix boots. I didn't come across these boots in my time in the forces. My introduction to the brand was in the form of some safety boots. I've since bought several pairs of Haix, including the MoD issue boots. For the full leather with Gore-Tex, look for the "Cold Wet Weather" variety. For the leather and textile Gore-Tex version look for the "High Liability" version. Avoid the High Liability suede version, it's an unlined desert boot (though it's still a good boot).

Prices vary depending on supply, but you should be able to pick them up for £65, or less if you are patient (brand new, unissued). Haix do actually retail them to the public, but they are rather more pricey.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I bought some meindl Bhutan for last winter, very comfortable and very waterproof

steve2

Reaction score
Tried on the Meindi boots today felt good but do I want to spend £200 on boots. Worth going out looking I ended up with a reduced price pair of Gortex boots. There was a £100 ponds off because it would seem they are an older model. It would seem that even walking boots go in and out of fashion.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Mine cost £14.95 from Aldi. Brilliant, waterproof and nice an worm - so long as you don't get them wet or cold :rolleyes:

robin_foot.jpg

robin_foot_fly.jpg

Sorry, but I do like these photographs :eek:mg:

Ralph.

Reaction score
I use diems from sports direct comfortable and waterproof so far and won't break the bank if I don't wear them then it's the aldi neoprene wellys I bought last year nice snug fit and very warm and comfortable. Don't believe in more expensive is always better (obviously some cases it is but not all)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't believe in more expensive is always better (obviously some cases it is but not all)

When it comes to footwear I don't skimp on cheap'o stuff.
I have done in the past and i've suffered for it! There's a reason why better footwear is more expensive....and I don't mean footwear with designer names etc :rolleyes:.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I use diems from sports direct comfortable and waterproof so far and won't break the bank if I don't wear them then it's the aldi neoprene wellys I bought last year nice snug fit and very warm and comfortable. Don't believe in more expensive is always better (obviously some cases it is but not all)

I have a pair of Aldi's lace-up, fur-lined boots that look like short lace-up wellies. They are great, if anything, they are too worm to wear except in freezing conditions. I did eye up those Aldi neoprene wellies and now regret not buying a pair.

Ralph.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The last time I looked at Aldi footwear ir was last.

sam vimes

Reaction score
When it comes to footwear I don't skimp on cheap'o stuff.
I have done in the past and i've suffered for it! There's a reason why better footwear is more expensive....and I don't mean footwear with designer names etc :rolleyes:.

That's why I go for the ex-MoD Haix boots. High retail price boots at a significant saving. I didn't wear issue boots when I was serving as they were cheap and nasty at the time. Though they weren't utterly terrible, they weren't a patch on the best available. The boots that the services are now being issued are the only thing that make me wish I was still serving.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's why I go for the ex-MoD Haix boots. High retail price boots at a significant saving. I didn't wear issue boots when I was serving as they were cheap and nasty at the time. Though they weren't utterly terrible, they weren't a patch on the best available. The boots that the services are now being issued are the only thing that make me wish I was still serving.

Yeah, I wear the meindl desert army boots. I paid 45 notes a pair for them on ebay but in the military shops they're well over a ton. I think the ones on ebay have fallen off the back of a wagon :wh.
The Lowa military boots look nice also.

Those hiking boots in the link I posted are the bees knees and are a step up from most other boots.

smudger172

Reaction score
can not offer any advice on hiking boots but have been using sorel boots for winter fishing. not the cheapest but mine are 14 years old and only on the second set of liners. good to minus 40 by all accounts..