Sunday... or Monday?

fishplate42

Reaction score
After a disastrous week of aborted trips to fish the river in Canterbury, I have given up trying for now. I am going to get a day at a commercial instead. My plan is to target perch and anything else that will take my deliberately fishy bait. Prawn, maggot and even bread on the hook over a nice fishy groundbait.

Tactics aside, I can either go on Sunday when the weather is going to be sunny all day, or Monday which is supposed to be overcast. I think Monday might be the best day. What do you say?

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know I'd rather fish for perch and chub on the river than fishing a commie this time of year catching a few F1s .Can't be much difference in journey time between the river and Beaver? infact why not do a day on each, you've some catching up to do.

Plus the river is free!!!

fishplate42

Reaction score
I know I'd rather fish for perch and chub on the river than fishing a commie this time of year catching a few F1s .Can't be much difference in journey time between the river and Beaver? infact why not do a day on each, you've some catching up to do.

Plus the river is free!!!

True, but I like to fish the river for a few hours at a go, and I don't like fishing it alone as I find I have to have eyes everywhere. On a long session, every time I need to 'pay a visit' I have to pack up and find a loo. When I eventually get to live closer, I will be fishing for short spells, which is not practical with a 110-mile round trip. Combining a short session with some other reason for being there is the only practical way to go at the moment.

Going to Beaver, or one of the other commercials allows me to spend a whole day fishing and relaxing, watching the wildlife and just unwinding in a comfortable environment.

All that said, I still have to decide which day, I can't go both days... Can I?

Ralph.

theartist

Reaction score
Having fished the river at Canterbury a few weekends back, the difference between Sunday and Monday there would surely be a couple thousand less people going past :eek:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having fished the river at Canterbury a few weekends back, the difference between Sunday and Monday there would surely be a couple thousand less people going past :eek:

How did you get on mate?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
True, but I like to fish the river for a few hours at a go, and I don't like fishing it alone as I find I have to have eyes everywhere. On a long session, every time I need to 'pay a visit' I have to pack up and find a loo.

Ralph.

The company was there waiting for you on the bank at 8am Wednesday! Made me feel like Billy No Mates:( pulling out at the twelfth hour because of last minute work committents isn't healthy for your fishing Ralph.

As for the loo, I've discovered a few discrete areas so that's no longer an issue, there is no packing up when your roving, shoulder bag, rod and net.

I've just got back from another quick session, check out HDYGO in a short while, never a dull moment on this river recently.:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
All that said, I still have to decide which day, I can't go both days... Can I?

Ralph.

This is the sort of dilemma this will help, I think you have looked at it before, try putting in both days and weigh up the odds. Its a bit fiddly but might help your answer. Its a miracle of internet technology apart from anything else, comes from the clouds you know, stunning.
https://fishingweathergb.yolasite.com/

fishplate42

Reaction score
The company was there waiting for you on the bank at 8am Wednesday! Made me feel like Billy No Mates:( pulling out at the twelfth hour because of last minute work committents isn't healthy for your fishing Ralph.

I know, I did feel bad about that, but it often happens to me. That is the trouble with working for guys who are 8 hours behind us here in the UK. They don't start work until we are about to finish our working day. Our work does not arrive here until late evening and when it does, sometimes it has to be done straightaway - that is the trouble with being freelance and not retired as we are much younger than you :D.

As It turned out we did not make it on Thursday either, which is why I am determined to get out tomorrow or Monday.

theartist said:
Having fished the river at Canterbury a few weekends back, the difference between Sunday and Monday there would surely be a couple thousand less people going past

Yes, I agree, even though I don't think I have ever fished there at the weekend. The commercials can get busy at the weekends, but at least if I get there early I can pick my swim as they don't get really busy until about 09:00. You also don't get well meaning passers-by asking questions! while you are trying to land a fish - Again, on the river, it is much easier if someone else is there to fend them off.

I am thinking my choice of Monday is looking good at the moment, at either venue.

I am half tempted to go the Canterbury on Monday...

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Work does interfere somewhat!:)

What I need is to make fishing my work. All I need to do is set up a crowd funding page saying I need money to fish and if everyone sends sends me money each month, problem solved... :rolleyes:

Ralph ;)

B

binka

What I need is to make fishing my work. All I need to do is set up a crowd funding page saying I need money to fish and if everyone sends sends me money each month, problem solved... :rolleyes:

Ralph ;)

I've tried this.

I changed my name to Martin Bowler and forged my passport photo with an old screenshot of Olive from On The Buses...

413562518.jpg

It didn't work :D

Philip

Reaction score
After a disastrous week of aborted trips to fish the river in Canterbury, I have given up trying for now. I am going to get a day at a commercial instead. My plan is to target perch and anything else that will take my deliberately fishy bait. Prawn, maggot and even bread on the hook over a nice fishy groundbait.

Tactics aside, I can either go on Sunday when the weather is going to be sunny all day, or Monday which is supposed to be overcast. I think Monday might be the best day. What do you say?

Ralph.

No brainer for me. Monday if you want to catch fish.

Sunday if you want to sunbathe with the crowds.

fishplate42

Reaction score
No brainer for me. Monday if you want to catch fish.

Sunday if you want to sunbathe with the crowds.

Yep, that is what I have decided to do Monday for fishing, Sunday to have the day off - That makes it a three-day weekend. Don't tell the boss! - Oh, I forgot, I am the boss :eek:mg:

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've tried this.

I changed my name to Martin Bowler and forged my passport photo with an old screenshot of Olive from On The Buses...

413562518.jpg

It didn't work :D

Uncanny
I hate you Bowler.

theartist

Reaction score
How did you get on mate?

Had a good day think I did a write up on the hdygo thread although come to think it was probably a couple of months back now, had plenty of roach, perch, dace, chub and even a small pike which drew a crowd, loads of dace though loved trotting through the ranunculus for them picking up the odd decent chub and perch too, my kind of fishing liked the river a lot, busy by that weir though.