river mersey boundaries

jakfish

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know where the boundaries lay and where you can fish from warrington to the opening of the mersey? plus at what point does the mersey become sea fishing to coarse fishing? what licences are needed etc? I'm thinking of starting fishing again after 30years and realise things have changed some what during that time, apologies for my ignorance, many thanks in advance for any help

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know where the boundaries lay and where you can fish from warrington to the opening of the mersey? plus at what point does the mersey become sea fishing to coarse fishing? what licences are needed etc? I'm thinking of starting fishing again after 30years and realise things have changed some what during that time, apologies for my ignorance, many thanks in advance for any help

My understanding is that anywhere that is below the tidal reach counts as sea fishing.

This is from the British Sea Fishing website:

"Anglers fishing inland up rivers do not need licences either if they are using sea fishing tackle to target sea fish species within tidal waters (i.e. there is movement of water level with the incoming and outgoing tide)."

thecrow

Reaction score
"Anglers fishing inland up rivers do not need licences either if they are using sea fishing tackle to target sea fish species within tidal waters (i.e. there is movement of water level with the incoming and outgoing tide)."

That's very interesting, who would decide what constituted "sea fishing tackle" I have used carp rods and reels fishing for Bass from the beach when I lived in Lincolnshire.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
That's very interesting, who would decide what constituted "sea fishing tackle" I have used carp rods and reels fishing for Bass from the beach when I lived in Lincolnshire.

Yes, I wondered about that. But the law is innocent until proven guilty, so I suppose they have to prove intent to target freshwater species. So fishing from the beach, you're probably fine. Just don't use boilies.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Warrington Anglers stretch is from Kingsway Bridge to the back of
Grey Mist, WAA say that you need a membership card to fish all their waters,
The Mersey from the allotment around Kingsway and Victoria Park,
is fishable on a day ticket,even though WAA do not issue day tickets, it is because it runs through council owned land, so if you fish that part and get asked for a licence check, ask the bailiff for a day ticket,and he will have no option but to move on, Fish are being caught around Riverside retail park, under railway bridge at bridge foot,any access point below the weir at Victoria Park,
I think that part is classed as tidal so it would be free fishing anyway,
The Cheshire Cheese pub have a stretch near the M6 at woolston, and the stretch near weir lane is reputed to have big carp in it,

jakfish

Reaction score
many thanks for the info, I have in the past used a mix of tackle to target sea or fresh water fish, I think I need to do more research before I splash the cash just yet!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
My understanding is that anywhere that is below the tidal reach counts as sea fishing.

This is from the British Sea Fishing website:

That would make a lot of rivers Sea fishing including the severn upto and past Bewdley cant be right surely .

PG ...