Hi from Marlow, Bucks

Reaction score
I have just joined this group and also just joined Marlow Angling Club. Back into coarse fishing after a 40 year gap. Interested in trying my hand to catch a barbel in the River Thames. Any advice would be appreciated from fellow anglers. Thanks Mark

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Mark, and Welcome to FishingMagic . . . .

I've not fished the Thames for many years but typically fast moving water with a gravel bottom is always good for Barbel, and particularly weir pools . . .

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hello Mark - I haven’t fished the Thames at Marlow for some years but there are some very decent fish there if you can locate them. Also, Marlow weir is another option (unfortunately taken off the Thames weir tickets in the late 70’s due to efin H&S) if you have access to a boat or a big bank balance for a room at the Complete Angler Hotel..........

theartist

Reaction score
Welcome Mark, You'll get a good bit of info talking to others in your new club, the Thames in general throws up Barbel at night due in no small part to the boat traffic, so maybe worth some late sessions. The weirs if you can get access are great early season. The cardboard castle stretch always used to hold a few but they can be hard so a few blanks or problem bream sessions maybe on the cards before any success.

steve2

Reaction score
I stayed at the Compleat Angler recently when my son got married in the area. I can recommend it.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Mark.
There are some barbel in the area. There are also some very large ones. But not easy.

Go up to the opposite bank of Bisham Church and try that area. Lots of bream as well mind you.