Hooklength

tonya

Reaction score
Sam, Are there any conditions that dictate the change or just the whim of the fish?

sam vimes

Reaction score
In really clear water (still or flowing), I'd be tempted to lengthen a hooklength. Beyond that, it's a matter of what's effective from a rig mechanics point of view and what the fish seem to be preferring on the day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If maggots are coming backed stretched and no indications are showing
on the tip, shorten the hooklength,
on a Stillwater I usually start at around 15" and lengthen or shorten
depending on circumstances with bait, and fish,

rubio

Reaction score
Not wanting to complicate this issue but you might want to consider a paternoster set-up for the hooklength. I only suggest this as I've found it the simplest and more sensitive arrangement compared to a running rig with lighter bombs/link leger.
Using rubber float stops means you can adjust hooklength at will. You can also do this even more easily by just putting shot direct on the line! It's not so crude you won't see bites. Honest.

rayner

Reaction score
If fishing a moderately short hooklength say 15 to 20 inch and getting damaged baits I would shorten.
Not getting indications would make me go longer.
If like me you get an idea that fish follow the hookbait down then it would make sense that a longer hooklength would create a slower fall giving fish time to see the bait.
fish rarely sit on the bottom especially in cold water, they will find a warmer layer and sit in that. Making them reasonably easy to find.
With bomb fishing find the fish first, for me just cast and hope would be a waste of time.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If fishing a moderately short hooklength say 15 to 20 inch and getting damaged baits I would shorten.
Not getting indications would make me go longer.
If like me you get an idea that fish follow the hookbait down then it would make sense that a longer hooklength would create a slower fall giving fish time to see the bait.
fish rarely sit on the bottom especially in cold water, they will find a warmer layer and sit in that. Making them reasonably easy to find.
With bomb fishing find the fish first, for me just cast and hope would be a waste of time.

one way to find them is to cast around with just the bomb on your line, and reel in slowly, if the are shoaled up even if there are only half a dozen, your line will pass through, if done slowly enough they will not spook, they may
move a couple of yards either way,
if you are familiar with the venue and have an idea of the depth, I would
start at around half depth and adjust accordingly , also remember the hallow part of a water warms up first when the in decide to show, and you could give the margins a try.

terry m

Reaction score
The simple answer is that the hooklength should be as short as you can get away with. That will give you the earliest bite indication.

But, as others have said, certain circumstances, running water in particular will demand longer hooklengths.

Personally would always start around 5-6 inches (8 on running water) then lengthen as needed.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
terry, do you think bait choice determines how long hooklength is as well,
method feeder is usually around 3-4 inch on Stillwater bait is a choice between,pellet,dead maggots,corn,meat,
longer hooklengths I have found on running water have caught better using
standout bait such as bread or corn, but I have also caught using a 15" hooklength with lobworm or bunch of maggots,

rayner

Reaction score
See what you've done Tonya so many ideas, all must work on the waters they are used.
It's a case of seeing how different hooklengths work on your venue.

terry m

Reaction score
terry, do you think bait choice determines how long hooklength is as well,
method feeder is usually around 3-4 inch on Stillwater bait is a choice between,pellet,dead maggots,corn,meat,
longer hooklengths I have found on running water have caught better using
standout bait such as bread or corn, but I have also caught using a 15" hooklength with lobworm or bunch of maggots,

Hi Mark

I do not understand why bait choice would make a difference, but I am open to ideas. :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
hi terry, its just my personal experience, in running water and longer hooklengths<I have had better results using a standout bait such as bread,
maybe it is because it "wafts" around in the flow better than on a shorter hooklength,the same with corn,
I have experimented putting hooklength with part of lobworm inside a cage feeder,leaving the bait at the edge,and letting the flow disperse both feed and bait at the same time, had various results doing that,
as for method feeder on stillwaters it is short hooklength with standard baits,
but have tried 4 8mm discs of bread and soaked micros with method
feeder and had good results.

tonya

Reaction score
So basically there is no right answer, its horses for courses.
Thanks for all your imput - I didn't mean to stir up an ants nest.

trotter2

Reaction score
If you loose feeding over the bomb it can often work to go longer. Fish some times come up in the water to take the loose feed as it falls through the water. A longer hooklengh mimic this behaviour.
Of course other times it could be the opposite and they want to take the bait hard on the bottom.
If there is fish in the swim and there feeding if your not at least getting the odd bite you can guarantee your presentation is wrong in some shape of form.

brookesey

Reaction score
Up here fishery and match rules allow two hooks. This can be very useful to see if the fish want the bait that is nearer or farther from the feeder.