Fly hooks

iain t

Reaction score
I have loads of fly hooks left over from when i used to make my own flies for Trout and Grayling many moons ago. 99% of these hooks are of the long shank type. Can i use these hooks for general coarse fishing such Bream, Carp, Tench?. The long shanks are quite flexible unlike the normal short types. Will they be strong enough?.

mikench

Reaction score
Iain i feel sure that if they helped catch that 50lb salmon they will be fine for the fish you mention !:)

keora

Reaction score
The design and manufacture of hooks has changed a lot in recent years. They are sharper, stronger, barbs are smaller and often they have a curved hook point which improves hooking.

Old fly hooks may not be that good for coarse fishing. First of all I'd check the barbs and squeeze them flat (or nearly flat) so that they are easier to unhook.

Fly hooks tend to have longer shanks than coarse fishing hooks. If they are too long, I wouldn't use them.

You could buy a new packet of 10 hooks for £2. I'd buy some Drennan patterns if I were you.

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Going back a few years:wh I, and many others, used Kamasan B175 as a cheaper carp hook.

iain t

Reaction score
The design and manufacture of hooks has changed a lot in recent years. They are sharper, stronger, barbs are smaller and often they have a curved hook point which improves hooking.

Old fly hooks may not be that good for coarse fishing. First of all I'd check the barbs and squeeze them flat (or nearly flat) so that they are easier to unhook.

Fly hooks tend to have longer shanks than coarse fishing hooks. If they are too long, I wouldn't use them.

You could buy a new packet of 10 hooks for £2. I'd buy some Drennan patterns if I were you.

I have loads of other hooks for my Chub and Barbel fishing so no need to buy. I just asked if i could just fly hooks. I have over 300 of these hooks and just wanted to know if they were any good before i bin them.

chrissh

Reaction score
I don’t see why you can’t use fly hook a lot of the carp hook have long shanks. Also a friend of mine use fly hook for when he drop shots small jelly lures for perch