Tench fishing in the winter

iain t

Reaction score
My cousin is coming over for a few weeks from Portugal. He loves his course fishing but has never caught a Tench. I've explained it's not really the right time of year to target Tench. Now I've caught a few Tench in the summer but they have never been my target species. Any tips i can pass on to him i.e tactics, bait etc. I will be taking him to a Commercial that stock Tench. I've only been to a Commercial once and didn't like it(not natural enough for me) but i think he has more chance on one.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think i'd go with a small method feeder and maggots. Maybe use two rods if allowed as i'd imagine the tench to be slowing right down now. I'd say your doing the best thing going to a commercial as you'll have more of a chance of one there than on a wild water.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I can only endorse your thinking Iain, I think any late tench I have caught in the past have come from commercials. Their feeding pattern is different from wild lakes, maybe something to do with how they are fed, I don't really know but commercials are always a bit different. I would suggest Luncheon meat, it will attract carp but it maybe not be the time of year to be mass particle baiting to get the tench rollicking. A lump of meat for them to come across or sniff out may work better. I would be thinking more of targeting a single fish this time of year and they love luncheon meat. maybe just a few lumps of it around the hook bait but I would be happy just fishing it on its own. If the tench are not feeding then it wont make any difference how much you put in but if one or two make a feeding round-round the lake, they might just be tempted by a single bait than a great mass of it where they might only pick at it and move on and just as likely to miss your bait as they are unlikely to go on a mass feeding spree this time of year whereas a single bait on its own they will be straight on it if they want something to eat but not go on a feeding binge like they might in May or June.
You might get more than one of course.
Which is a bit different advice than Tiggers but its just my own way of thinking with late tench but you could try both with two rods, I imagine your cousin will get some action with something at least. The luncheon meat I would fish close in, about 3-5 ft from the margin. Tench are more likely to be in this band as the waters colder in the middle and 3-5 ft means any swimming inside that might pick up the scent and and any swimming 5 ft further out might pick it up as well so your covering a wider margin, more chance than fishing it very close in. Method, I only fish one which is laying on/lift with a float and as few shot as possible. a quill or something similar either attached bottom only and sink the line if there is surface tow or just normal. You could try floating it mid water now and then just on the chance the tench are up but on the bottom would be my mainstay. But a link lejer and quiver tip if its preferred, I'm just a bit wedded to a float really.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
Iain

I think you should still be able to catch a few. I haven't really target them on commercials but I've had a fair few into November when fishing worm , chasing perch.This was on mild days mainly with a strong S/W breeze on a deepish (10/12 ft) reservoir

rich66

Reaction score
I got my PB late last October., I'd fed maggots and sweetcorn, for the afternoon Then switched to corn for the last couple of hours before dusk. That was in a marina off the soar. They must feed while the water is warm enough its just being there when they do.

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry Iain I cannot really help and you will be aware of my struggles to catch tench! I have found that when I really try for them I fail ( except when Nottskev is involved:)) but when I am after carp or roach I do! The perversity of life?

I aim to catch tench and roach tomorrow but I am not optimistic :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Chopped worm and a dendrobena on the hook,or bits of them are a tench favourite from now until the end of the season,feeding in a cup,or feeder fished.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
The latest tench I have caught was at the end of November on ledgered bread flake in about 8' of water, I'd say mid-afternoon when the water was probably as 'warm' as it was likely to get. I wouldn't describe the water as a Commercial, but it is a small day ticket venue.

rubio

Reaction score
I've had a few late tench on the river in the past mostly on flouro pinkie. I go along with the classic school of thinking that smaller morsels work better as the season progresses. Tiny tho they are pinkies will digest rapidly I guess, and help them put on a bit of fat. Minimum of groundbait imo too.

theartist

Reaction score
I was on a backwater yesterday with dad that's stuffed full of tench, the cold snap had hit it so hard even the roach and perch didn't want to know and we only caught chub and barbel. Have caught them there on a warm day in February but anyone who goes tench fishing in winter gets full respect :thumbs:

iain t

Reaction score
Thank you all for the great advice. Am thinking of taking him to Berryhill in Dorking. I called them yesterday and was advised they are still feeding as Winter hasn't really arrived yet.