The fishery predation survey

jerry gleeson1

Reaction score
With many of the nations waterways now suffering from predation from otters, minks, crayfish, gooseanders etc, Paul Floyd and Shaun Nurse in there own time and using there own money have started the fishery predation survey project.
The goal is to build up a database of sightings and incidents to monitor the effects of predation on our fish stocks and provide data to give weight to any lobbying of government agencies to get improvements in the quality of our fisheries so that they can support both angling and our native wildlife in a natural self sustaining way.

It takes less than 2 minutes to fill in the form to report a sighting or incident so please do so, any information you input is confidential and will not be including in published reports.

www.predation.co.uk

www.facebook.com/predationsurveyproject

Reaction score
It's a good idea,thing is dates from months ago don't stick in my mind,I've seen otters on three different rivers this season,cormorants everywhere,signals aplenty,the more welcome herons,egrets aren't really an issue,now I've seen this I'll try to update from today onwards.

rayner

Reaction score
My fishing must be sheltered as I don't see predators on the fishery I use.
The only birds I see catching fish are Terns, I can't see how they can damage stocks.
I never see a Cormorant or anything like them.
I reckon they may have been persuaded to stay away. Unless my eyes are fixed on whatever tactic I use and see nothing else.
The crux of the matter is results of any survey will not make a jot of a difference. Only anglers care and we count for nothing, apart from our licence fees of course.

dicky123

Reaction score
Just wrote ( this week) to our club officials about 4 pair of nesting cormorants on our Nottingham lake's.

Got a nice letter back, but with no answer in truth. Unless we shoot the black buggers they will continue to plunder some very understocked lakes. The letter mentioned the club has applied for a license to shoot the birds, but it seems over difficult in my opinion. Everyone knows by now the damage these birds do to a small water fishery, but still every obstacle is put in the way of clubs and owners to get rid of them.

Rich.

keora

Reaction score
I hope the fish predation survey will be effective.

About 5 years ago, the Angling Trust set up a similar system for reporting cormorants. After it had been well established, I looked on the site to see how many cormorants had been reported at a few local day ticket fisheries. Generally, very few were reported.

Anglers moan about predators etc but probably not many wish to complete surveys.

thecrow

Reaction score
The site is well worth a visit even if an angler has nothing to report, there is information on there that all river anglers should be aware of because it is affecting the fish in our rivers but cannot be seen.

steve2

Reaction score
I will report what I see but the bird and furry animal lobby is far stronger and financially backed than the fishing lobby ever will be so nothing will be done.
Which is why the shooting of these birds goes on and will continue to go on undercover. Just like the birds of prey on grouse moors.