I. D

simon-jack

Reaction score
If this is a Gudgeon then what is the second fish please?
e17c5187e18b93d857be266dfd8befb7.jpg
83ee3ca0661a223fa8151e02bf149969.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely a Ruffe - the record being 5 ounces and 4 drams and has stood since 1980 with a fish from Cumbria.

Down this way they were called "tommy ruffe" and once upon a time the Thames was full of them around Kingston and Hampton Court . . . . .

They are greedy little perishers and more often than not would swallow the hook so needed a lot of care when unhooking . . . . .

rich66

Reaction score
The Ruffe is one of my favourite fishes. I like to see Gudgeon too always think it's a good sign to catch a diverse selection.

theartist

Reaction score
Funny fish, get them on the canal round here where they have decent numbers, often they just don't fight and you think it's dead, instead they can puff up the gills much like Bullheads and Small Bass do

jasonbean1

Reaction score
In match fishing terms catching a Ruffe is known as a sign your swim is dying.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I posted a fish up for identification on here some time ago and it turned out to be a Ruffe, it was basking just under the surface in a canal-river system I have fished for years but never caught or seen one until this time. Perhaps they are increasing.

sis the roach

Reaction score
yes its a tommy ruffe or pope fish i think some one said millers thumb its not millers thumb is a bullhead i have only ever caught one in 60 years of fishing

rayner

Reaction score
Tommy ruffe, not seen one of those for yonks.
Around here the millers thumb is a bull head.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Definitely a Ruffe - the record being 5 ounces and 4 drams and has stood since 1980 with a fish from Cumbria.

Down this way they were called "tommy ruffe" and once upon a time the Thames was full of them around Kingston and Hampton Court . . . . .

They are greedy little perishers and more often than not would swallow the hook so needed a lot of care when unhooking . . . . .

That brings back memories fishing as a lad along the stretches you've mentioned. Ugly brutes when they got a bit bigger and older, use to hate them.
We always knew them as "Pope", why did they get that name?

theartist

Reaction score
Could be due to the Purple regalia sometimes worn by the Pope,and the colour of the Ruffe's eye.

Or it could be a linguistic derivative of the word purple.... purp.... pope, either way it's gotta have something to do with it's distinctive eye colour