Colder weather baits

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Fishing lakes in colder weather is it better to use groundbait or micro pellets?

I always used groundbait only for the idea less food content just to attract the fish . But was told other day that pellets are best .

What are people's thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
I would be careful about either.A little chopped worm and a very few maggots would be a good start for silvers.
Just to get their juices going and not feeding them.

mikench

Reaction score
Try liquidised bread for silvers and punch on the hook! I will this winter!;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
The choices are entirely venue dependent. On some more natural venues, I'd not choose to use pellets or fishmeal based groundbait at any time of year, but especially not in winter. On some waters you'd be absolutely crazy not to use pellets, regardless of the time of year. The only thing I'd suggest that all waters have in common is that feeding less is advisable as temperatures drop.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The choices are entirely venue dependent. On some more natural venues, I'd not choose to use pellets or fishmeal based groundbait at any time of year, but especially not in winter. On some waters you'd be absolutely crazy not to use pellets, regardless of the time of year. The only thing I'd suggest that all waters have in common is that feeding less is advisable as temperatures drop.
Should of been a bit clearer, the venue I fish responds well to pellets, not too many silvers in the lake though , mainly carp , bream , tench and pike a few silvers and a few perch but nothing of any size

john step

Reaction score
You say there are perch albeit small? It is my experience that there are often good size perch in waters that no one fishes for and are not suspected to be there.
It may be worth having a session with pieces of prawn or worms or in fact a 2inch piece off the tail end of a rudd/roach.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
You say there are perch albeit small? It is my experience that there are often good size perch in waters that no one fishes for and are not suspected to be there.
It may be worth having a session with pieces of prawn or worms or in fact a 2inch piece off the tail end of a rudd/roach.
May be worth a go with prawn or worn but no live baits alowed or catching and killing fish stocks either so can you buy dead roach from a tackle shop?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
May be worth a go with prawn or worn but no live baits alowed or catching and killing fish stocks either so can you buy dead roach from a tackle shop?

Oh and when fishing for perch is best to fish margins or open water or beside trees rushes etc ?

john step

Reaction score
You can buy dead freshwater fish but may not be worth it unless you know i9t works at your venue.
Prawns are pretty good for perch. Try the places you mention but also plumb up and fish into any drop offs and deeper spots when it gets cold.
A few scattered bits of prawn will have perch scenting and searching them out.
Overcast days usually best.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
You can buy dead freshwater fish but may not be worth it unless you know i9t works at your venue.
Prawns are pretty good for perch. Try the places you mention but also plumb up and fish into any drop offs and deeper spots when it gets cold.
A few scattered bits of prawn will have perch scenting and searching them out.
Overcast days usually best.
The lake has a uniform bottom except the margin drop off . Is open water at distance any good or better closer in ?

john step

Reaction score
I would try at the bottom of the drop off first. If you can use two rods , cast the second a bit further out. Sometimes perch are put off by line going vertically from bait to a float if the water is clear.
Try a running light bomb parallel to the bank at the bottom of the shelf which means the line is hidden on the bottom.
You will also pick up other fish on prawns as a bonus.
If you have access to lob worms, also try these with a couple chopped up and introduces sparingly in cold water.
I must say though that the water aint cold yet! Tight lines.

rayner

Reaction score
You're right John the water is nowhere near cold enough yet. Local fisheries are still accepting plenty of feed to keep bites coming. I find it's always better feeding small amounts constantly rather than filling it in.
Feeding small amounts constantly is still working, be that maggots or pellets even small nuggets of GB.
The fish are still in the margins if they're what you want.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Morning on club lake had a couple of carp and 3 bream still in the margins too , but decently slowing up or not having a good day as this lake turns of suddenly then back on again and I can't say why

john step

Reaction score
Morning on club lake had a couple of carp and 3 bream still in the margins too , but decently slowing up or not having a good day as this lake turns of suddenly then back on again and I can't say why

Not having a good day is something that happens. As long a you enjoy being out thats the main thing.

With todays more heavily stocked waters its too easy to think its the norm to continually catch fish.

It doesn't seem that long ago when a couple of carp and 3 bream meant a red letter day.
I can remember winning a club match on a lake in October with 3 small carp and everyone gathered round in amazement that the carp fed that late in the year.
Enjoy the warming climate.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Not having a good day is something that happens. As long a you enjoy being out thats the main thing.

With todays more heavily stocked waters its too easy to think its the norm to continually catch fish.

It doesn't seem that long ago when a couple of carp and 3 bream meant a red letter day.
I can remember winning a club match on a lake in October with 3 small carp and everyone gathered round in amazement that the carp fed that late in the year.
Enjoy the warming climate.
No way this is a commercial venue , most the fishing is margin unless you want to bag up on the bream , had a 22lb carp on a quiver tip rod and was a he'll of a battle too . I'm enjoying having time out to myself

rayner

Reaction score
If the fish are backing off from feed try popped bread with no feed or single baits like meat, corn or a bunch of maggots.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If the fish are backing off from feed try popped bread with no feed or single baits like meat, corn or a bunch of maggots.
I had 1 rod out with a chunk of meat and not even a tap on that rod tip all morning the other one was a small hybrid feeder with soft micros in and a banded 8mm , could try punched bread next time, how far would you pop it up or start 6" and vary the length from there ?

rayner

Reaction score
I had 1 rod out with a chunk of meat and not even a tap on that rod tip all morning the other one was a small hybrid feeder with soft micros in and a banded 8mm , could try punched bread next time, how far would you pop it up or start 6" and vary the length from there ?

When I pop bread I use a 10mm punch and put five disks on a hair with a small size 20s mwg. I start near the bottom, your 6" would work. I use a small 1/4oz bomb stopped with float stops and vary the depth if nothing is showing.
Bare in mind that most bites I get are just little twitches, only occasionally will the tip go round.
Bread fishes better popped when the colour drops from the water.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
When I pop bread I use a 10mm punch and put five disks on a hair with a small size 20s mwg. I start near the bottom, your 6" would work. I use a small 1/4oz bomb stopped with float stops and vary the depth if nothing is showing.
Bare in mind that most bites I get are just little twitches, only occasionally will the tip go round.
Bread fishes better popped when the colour drops from the water.
Great , so do I strike at the twitches? Water still got colour in at moment

barbelboi

Reaction score
When the water temperature is cold a sponge cut to size and inserted into a feeder can work well. The sponge is ' squeeze filled' with a liquid attractant of your choice providing a scent trail but nothing to eat but your hook bait.