Moss

Keith M

Reaction score
I get my moss from the local garden centre. where they sell it for lining hanging baskets.

Its 'sphagnum moss' and its very cheap and excellent for keeping worms in when used on the bank as long as it's kept damp.

I also have a small home made wormery which contains mostly damp sphagnum moss with layers of earth between the layers; (although eventually the earth and moss get mixed together anyway), and the worms thrive in it as long as I occasionally add a few vegetable peelings and leaves on the surface.

Keith

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Should be able to get sphagnum moss from a garden centre, check the label see if it's been treated with anything. Or if you've got a lawn you may have enough moss in your lawn to rake out, you'll need a fan shaped lawn rake preferably with metal tines.

mikench

Reaction score
And mine! Give it a week or so and my lawns will, once again, be all moss! Bring a scarifier and you can have it all!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where can I get a supply of moss to keep worm in and first class condition

Just go and find some, it's easy to find. Try looking on sodden ground/areas. I certainly wouldn't be spending money on it when it's freely available!

Philip

Reaction score
I read somewhere or other in an old book I think it was that shredded newspaper (the type with the print that comes off on your hands) is a good substitue for moss and keeps worms in good condition.

Not tried it so cant say first hand.

john step

Reaction score
Just go and find some, it's easy to find. Try looking on sodden ground/areas. I certainly wouldn't be spending money on it when it's freely available!

A man after my own heart.

rayner

Reaction score
Hanging baskets are about done so rob it from neighbours hanging baskets, free if you're not seen.:D