brook/river fly rods

R

Ross Turner

What make & model of fly rod would any member recomend for fishing brooks,stream & rivers.
My fly rods are 10"stillwater jobs.

G

Gerry Castles

9' six weight for wide rivers, 8' four weight for small streams. One rod would have to be a five weight 8'6" (or thereabouts)

G

Gerry Castles

sorry I forgot,Make is dependent on budget.
The 'best' is Loomis GLX at ?600, the 'not bad for the money' will be at Fishtec, Shakespeare or Ron Thompson at around ?60-70. However the absolute bargain at the moment, available from the new Fulling Mill range is a four piece five weight or four piece four weight at an introductory half price of ?64.95 until 30th April. get a copy of April's Trout Fisherman for details

A

Alan Roe

Brooks and streams something between 6 and 7 foot Aftm 3-4, for larger rivers something 8- 81/2 feet long Aftm 4-5
Whilst it is nice to pay a lot of money for a rod because you can afford, it do bear in mind that the unit cost of even the worlds finest blanks is ?20 each! all the rest of the price is made up of the fittings and the advertising and profits.....!

It isn't the rod that matters so much as the driver!!!!

R

Ross Turner

So you think a 8`-8`6" rod rated 4/5 line would be most suited like the greys grx,Has anyone used one & are they value for money,apart from having the life time guarantee.Also what fly reel & flyline would you recomend.

G

Gerry Castles

My small river rod is a four piece 8'4" Orvis Adam. Entirely suitable for the job in hand, but Greys have always had a good reputation I'm sure their version will do the job. Reel isn't important so long as it's light enough to match the rod. Any of the small graphite reels sold by fishtec or tightlines should do, my own reel is an Orvis Battenkill if you want to spend a little more. The line should be double taper for the extra bit of presentation that you'll need at relatively close quarters. Elsewhere on this forum you'll see a recommendation for Cortland 444 (peach colour)lines. You could do a whole lot worse. My four weight line is a double taper Orvis Spring Creek which is sadly no longer made.

C

Carp Angler

The Sping Creek is still made, you just have to get it from the US.
It's only available in 1,2 3 and 6 weight though and is probably the best small stream floating line on the market.

If you have trouble getting it, then speak to Robin Gow at Andover head office (01264 349500) and he should sort you out.
and tell him 'the Beast' says hello.

G

Gerry Castles

Thanks for that, it seemed to disappear from their catalogue and their then London shop said they no longer made it. I might have a look at the six. I do buy from the US (a company in New Boston)I'll check their catalogue. Shame they dropped the four.