Lesney Bread press

fishplate42

Reaction score
There is a request in the classified at the moment for a Lesney Bread Bait Press.

bread_press.jpg

I was given one in a lot, a couple of years ago, see HERE. It looks as if it might be good fun to try. Does anybody here use one or are they yesterday's gadget as I have not seen a modern version?

Ralph.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Lesney bread press was largely replaced by the more modern bread punches as they became more readily available.

You can still use the Lesney but it is not nearly so swift an operation as punching out bread baits using modern versions with the added advantage of the modern ones offering different sizes of baits.

fishplate42

Reaction score
The Lesney bread press was largely replaced by the more modern bread punches as they became more readily available.

You can still use the Lesney but it is not nearly so swift an operation as punching out bread baits using modern versions with the added advantage of the modern ones offering different sizes of baits.

Thank you, Peter,
I thought that might be the case.

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
Didn't Lesney used to make Dinky/ Matchbox cars? It almost looks similar for those of us of a certain age!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matchbox were owned by Lesney and were branded such because they were sold in boxes just like matchboxes. . . .

I think the scale was 1:73 or close to that originally.

The advent of the Hot Wheels cars and toys led to the demise of Matchbox, who were eventually bought out by Mattel . . . .

I'm not certain but were Dinky not owned by Meccano?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Back in the day when an apprentice telephone engineer I occasionally did work at Lesneys in Homerton, seem to remember getting hold of reject cars but no bread presses sadly.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Matchbox were owned by Lesney and were branded such because they were sold in boxes just like matchboxes. . . .

I think the scale was 1:73 or close to that originally.

The advent of the Hot Wheels cars and toys led to the demise of Matchbox, who were eventually bought out by Mattel . . . .

I'm not certain but were Dinky not owned by Meccano?

Lesney was a brand name of Lines Bros. (Triang) Matchbox diecast cars were not of any one particular scale as they were made to fit the standard size box. Meccano did make Dinky Toys, and they were mostly scaled to 1:43 or 'O' gauge to go with Hornby tinplate Railways, also made by Meccano. To confuse the issue still further Lines Bros. bought the Meccano company in the 1960s.

Today most of those brand names of our youth are just owned and applied to modern mass-produced stuff sourced from anywhere it can be made cheaply - sound familiar? That is except for Meccano, which is now owned and produced by the vast Spin Master company who have transformed the product and brought it bang up to date. It is now a global brand and is very successful around the world if not such a hit here in the UK any more.

Ralph.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I posted about wanting a Lesney bait press,
They were originally call Milbro Lesney Bait press but Lesney wanted the
Milbro name removed due to slow sales I think,
you are correct in that lesney and matchbox cars were made by same company,
Does anyone remember the Hornby Dublo 3 rail model railway ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Ralph I used one when I was young many years ago,
you take a pice of bread with crust on, about 3/8" plce in the press
and wind down until compressed, the small "spike" in the base of the press
makes a hole for where to place hook,
Not as quick as bread punches or drennan flake punches, but more fun,

thecrow

Reaction score
There is a request in the classified at the moment for a Lesney Bread Bait Press.

bread_press.jpg

I was given one in a lot, a couple of years ago, see HERE. It looks as if it might be good fun to try. Does anybody here use one or are they yesterday's gadget as I have not seen a modern version?

Ralph.

Looks like something the wife would use on parts of my anatomy to find out if I have purchased any new tackle :eek:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I had two of these back in the '60s and they both failed after little use when the thumbscrew seized up. They now seem to command high prices on eBay (considering they cost, I think, about half-a-crown - 12.5p - originally).

There are now quite a few convincing replica boxes around too - the originals rarely survived or were just thrown away, as was most packaging back then. Nobody realised an original box would double the value of many items 40-50 years into the future!

mikench

Reaction score
I continue to be amazed at the silly prices people are willing to pay for items on eBay whether sheer tat or for grossly overpriced items!:) And you are buying blind!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I continue to be amazed at the silly prices people are willing to pay for items on eBay whether sheer tat or for grossly overpriced items!:) And you are buying blind!

As ever, one man's rubbish is another's treasure. There are loads of expensive things that I wouldn't pay for. I've no doubt that I buy, and pay a high price for, things that lots of people would find ridiculous. I try not to care either way. It's no concern of mine how others choose to spend their money. It's no concern of theirs how I choose to spend mine.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember having one of those daft bread squashers many years ago and I threw it away...at a m8 of mines float if I remember rightly lol.
I just use my fingers to crush bread, lets face it it's not exactly hard is it!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I don't want to use it,i am thinking of doing a small display of
old tackle at home, I have some handmade cork and quill floats
that are over 50 years old, old packets of hooks to nylon with
Redditch printed on the packet, back to back worm hooks,

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to use it,i am thinking of doing a small display of
old tackle at home, I have some handmade cork and quill floats
that are over 50 years old, old packets of hooks to nylon with
Redditch printed on the packet, back to back worm hooks,

I've got a 4 1/2 inch Allcocks 1915 12 spoke aerial I might part with for the right money of your interested ;).