Up agaisnt it

Philip

Reaction score
Been struggling of late. Not even a knock on my local river in carefully prebaited swims. I would have expected at least a Bream but absolutely nothing has been troubling my baits.

Whilst sitting there wondering what was going on my attention wandered to the far bank and then it dawned on me that perhaps the problem has been staring me in the face all along. Not a great picture as it was with the mobile phone as it was getting dark but I counted over 100 Cormorants coming in to roost in the trees and with the amount still flying about I could probably double that easily.

It cant be good. ...can it ?

philip-albums-misc-picture4837-cormorants.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One hundred cormorants?:eek: not even Alfred could imagine such a scene.

Philip

Reaction score
What river is it, got to be loads of fish in it to sustain so many comorants????

Its the Seine, always had them but not in these numbers.

Worst of all this was one of my favourite Roach stretches. I dont think I'll even bother this winter.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's a roost, it doesn't mean they'll be feeding under it. There's a massive roost on a lake island not far from me and the water is a hard water but it's stuffed with fish including hoards of tiny rudd to 3lb +.

I think Rutland water has the largest population of cormorants in europe and yet it's crammed full of fish.

Philip

Reaction score
That's a roost, it doesn't mean they'll be feeding under it. There's a massive roost on a lake island not far from me and the water is a hard water but it's stuffed with fish including hoards of tiny rudd to 3lb +.

I think Rutland water has the largest population of cormorants in europe and yet it's crammed full of fish.

Well I hope your right Ian..the fishings been really slow, not even seeing many fish showing or topping which is quite unusual.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I hope your right Ian..the fishings been really slow, not even seeing many fish showing or topping which is quite unusual.

Sounds a little odd, maybe they're migrating downstream, they do round these parts at this time of year. All except the barbel and chub that is.

naxian62

Reaction score
Regularly see the same thing near me in the Winter, but personally I dont think they re harming fish stocks overly. especially when you see the size of the roach and rudd shoals.
Oh and this is a canal btw.

theartist

Reaction score
Seeing that many cormorants is enough to dampen anyone's spirits, the fish will be gathering in huge shoals,for obvious reasons, trouble is large areas will be devoid of fish entirely. Built up areas with bridges or trees in the water usually offer the best chance