Beginner Baitcaster?

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to purchase a baitcasting rod as I want to start doing a bit more lure fishing. Has anyone got any suggestions for around £50? I already know what reel I am getting so only looking at rods now.

Also, any tips on lure fishing etc. Would be appreciated!

Cheers

steve2

Reaction score
What reel are you getting, multiplier or fixed spool? What size lures are you expecting to be casting? There are many option of rods open to you.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Look at the Wychwood Agitator range. I picked up a 9ft model with a weight rating of 60-100g and it works wonderfully with a small ABU baitacaster.

However if you want to chuck around big jerkbaits, then you will need something stronger.

JackGE

Reaction score

iain t

Reaction score
For quality and price look for the Okuma range of lure rods. The 10g to the 45g range will cover most kinds of lure fishing from freshwater Perch to Sea Bass. Suitable from small metal spinners to large plugs for Pike and Bass.

steve2

Reaction score
Ugly Stick are good strong rods and reasonably priced and from what I have read virtually unbreakable. Don’t forget with a multiplier you will be using the rod upside down and I have always found it easier to use a left hand wind reel.
Always use braid lines and I find short traces better than long ones nothing longer than 12’. Others will say this is to short.
There are some good books, one I have picked up some good tips from is Charlie Bettell The Art of Lure Fishing.

JackGE

Reaction score
Well, I'd like the Ugly Stik USCA702M but it's not sold in the UK and it's 40 quid to ship it over! Might have to look for other rods now... Thanks for that Steve, luckily I checked before otherwise I'd have to swap hands after every cast!

puffer_

Reaction score
Well, I'd like the Ugly Stik USCA702M but it's not sold in the UK and it's 40 quid to ship it over! Might have to look for other rods now... Thanks for that Steve, luckily I checked before otherwise I'd have to swap hands after every cast!

Nathan's of Derby usually have a good of Abu black/silver/pro max rod and reel combos if you fancy a run out, they're cheap and fairly good for the money.

JackGE

Reaction score
Thanks for that Puffer but I've managed to find a 6'6" ugly stick gx2 MH. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow with my reel and line!

steve2

Reaction score
Be interested to know how your reel kastking reel performs. Seen a lot of them on ebay and the write ups are good. One of the best tips I can give up is don't get addicted to buying lures or you end up like me with 100's.

JackGE

Reaction score
I've heard they're meant to be surprisingly good, too. Will be interested to see how durable they are. Should be arriving tomorrow. Got next day delivery on my rod but from a smaller company so hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow, too. I do need some more lures but I'll try to limit myself :D