Been a busy boy.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just put this mini lathe together using an old drill and scrap bits of wood.
Hope to use it to knock a few float bodies up from time to time--- total cost was £2 for the two jubilee clips that I had to join together.

B

binka

That looks just the job mick, I've seen a couple along similar lines which have utilised a drill motor and chuck.

I did consider something similar last year but ended up in a lathe...r!

:)

mikench

Reaction score
I will take instructions on whether the lathe design can be reproduced under licence!:D:cool:

trotter2

Reaction score
Nice work you will have hours off fun on that .:thumbs:

peterjg

Reaction score
flightliner: your lathe is brilliant - I must copy!

bracket

Reaction score
Flightliner. That's pretty neat. What components have you used to make the cross slide? Pete

flightliner

Reaction score
Flightliner. That's pretty neat. What components have you used to make the cross slide? Pete

Bracket, A piece of softwood bevelled to 45 degrees with a smoothing plane that slides between two thin strips bevelled to the same angle that were glued and panel pinned to the base board.
A piece of scrap 4x2 cut to the shape seen in the pik glued and screwed to the slide.
Find centre by sliding towards the drill with a bit inserted that marks where the hole should be drilled.
10 mm threaded rod pushed to working face where the nut is threaded on and pencilled round , this profile is cut out v carefully with a 10mm chisel so nut sits flush with stock face and superglued into position.
The threaded rod can then be wound backwards and forwards. My rod was tatted from an old kitchen base unit that had a plastic base fitted for levelling but now acts as a winding wheel ( neat hey! ;))
The front of the threaded rod only needs to be ground to a point now but a nieghbour has a "real" lathe and he kindly drilled my threaded rod with a four mm hole then tapered to finnish off the job.
Nb, the jubilee clip needed to hold the drill was'nt readily available but buy two that you think will go around the drill and they can be opened up and screwed together then placed between the two holes drilled in the two "cheek" pieces and then tightened up.
Hope this helps?