Plastic waste - warning: will make you feel sick

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I saw a baby hedgehog out on a grass verge during the day. I went back to check it out and move it. It was starving and on deaths door. Any fleas had abandoned ship as they do when they sense an animal is popping it's cloggs!
Anyhow I noticed a ring of scab round the hedgehogs neck and it turned out to be something fast round the hogs neck, so as it had been growing it was decapitating it. I bought it some minced beef, took it home and cut the object being careful to slide it round under the skin otherwise it would have ripped a big ring of flesh off where it had grown over it. The plastic cord looked like the bit left over on a strimmer and it had been thrown away (probaly council workers).
Anyhow, got the hog eating but it was touch and go if it would live for the first few days. After it had started to recover I was going to release it but it was too late in the year for a little hog to survive a hibernation. I phoned a rescue to see if they'd take it in which they would but they wanted a tenner donation first FFS!
I kept myself instead and put it in a run in the garden. It grew as big as a football before I released it in the spring.

Regarding plastic waste etc, imo some anglers (i'd say quite a lot of them) are
as bad as the rest of the polluters (worse even) with the rubbish and line they leave behind. The amount of birds i've seen tethered to trees etc or hobbling round with swollen amputated or half amputated legs through disguarded mono is disgusting! I've even seen birds hanging from trees with mono round their legs....:mad:.
Imo a large portion of anglers are one of the waterways worst enemies!

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Saw that on FB the other day, terrible what rubbish can do.
Well done Tigger with the hog they are lovely creatures.
I’m always finding bits of mono or braid when I’m fishing, all goes home with me and burnt on the wood burner that way I know it’s gone safely.

tonya

Reaction score
Hedgehogs are so selfish, why don't they share the hedge?

Its not just the big amout of fishing line that causes problems, even short hooklength pieces get tangled up in small animals.

thecrow

Reaction score
Its because its so difficult to catch the culprits that leave rubbish on the bank. All fisheries imo should have a rule in place whereby anyone with rubbish in their swim is responsible for that rubbish whether it was left there by them or not. Ban the angler concerned and circulate the details to local clubs in order to restrict the anglers fishing, publicise the angler in the media and shame them into not doing it again, they are not anglers that would be missed by others.

It has been a rule on a couple of syndicates I have belonged to and the places were spotless they might have been without the rule but having it did no harm.

theartist

Reaction score
The same people who leave litter on the banks leave it elsewhere, it's endemic we are a dirty people and judging by multicultural areas, not alone, bad parenting no doubt, I blame my generation to be honest, just look at the local park, high street or estate - filthy and not an angler in sight.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
The question really has to be DO we need so much plastic Glass bottles were justa as good and probwably better than those blown plastic things , Plastic bags the scurge of the shops now along with plastic packaging Visi pak really Bring back paper carrier bags brown paper bags Glass bottles .

Ok there are some things that could not be without plastic & nylon ect but i am certain we can massivley reduce our dependancy of plastic without too many problems .

Just my thoughts ...

PG ...