It’s that time of year to book next year’s fishing holiday

chrissh

Reaction score
My self and 2 friends fished Holland 2 years ago. And are thinking of a fishing holiday in Germany. We have been looking on the internet but can’t find any which have accommodation like the Dutch & French rivers & lakes have (not the big carp lakes) what we want is mixed fishing float / feeder and some light carp fishing with accommodation. nearby tackle shop to pre-order baits & Permits / licence. thinking of going the end of July our dates are flexible . Have any of you fished or know of such. Any recommendations please

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Have the laws changed there? It used to be that anglers were required to kill everything they caught. Perhaps that's changed?

chrissh

Reaction score

tomino2112

Reaction score
It looking like we will be going back to Holland
Found this on the google... no change the in law
Practicing catch & release is forbidden – except of releasing fish due to size limits or closed season!
Fishing rod licence and permit in Germany - Where to fish?

Are you really going to pass on holidays, opportunity to fish something you never have before, just because you need to eat fish?

You dont have to feel bad about it, they manage stocks and know their water, they dont need you to worry for them...

steve2

Reaction score
In this country we like to think that we “care” for our fish because all most of us do is stick a hook in them then put them back so we can do it again another day. In many countries fish are food not pets so when in Rome do as the Romans Do or don’t go there.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm sure Chris has his own reasons, but since the subject has come up, I wouldn't take a fishing holiday where catch and release is banned.

A holiday, say, in Ireland, where I would be obliged to kill and eat large numbers of big roach, bream and tench?

In Spain, where it would take some time to chew my way through that catfish?

Etc

I'm a lifelong angler, and will defend angling against all opponents, but I have to recognise it contains an element of potential cruelty in pursuit of angler's enjoyment. Personally, I manage this and fish with a clear conscience by putting all fish back alive. I believe that's a common point of view in an angling culture where the fish is not regarded as food.

The thinking behind the German model derives from a rather extreme "fish rights" ideology, which bans fishing for pleasure as an inadequate reason, and I wouldn't really want to be fishing in that climate anyway. I've fished from Ireland in the west of Europe to Lithuania in the east, but only where I'm not obliged to kill the fish.

Of course, others may well see it differently.

Last edited:

robcourt82

Reaction score
Big carp fishing is quite popular in Germany and the Germans fish the world's and European championships so there must be some catch and release fishing surely?
I agree whole heartedly with nottskev, I know that there is an element of stress put on fish when I catch them however I fish with a clear conscience knowing that I limit it as much as I can. I couldn't bring myself to kill a single fish let alone a net full! (That goes for trout too, I love eating them but I can't kill them)