Does size matter

mikench

Reaction score
when it comes to centre pins ie what are the disadvantages of a 4" as opposed to a 4.5" other than the amount of line reeled back in per revolution on the retrieve?

thecrow

Reaction score
I cant think of any other than it might take longer to retrieve line, no doubt there will be other disadvantages that I am unaware of.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regarding a speedy recovery, it's not just down to the spool size. You might have a 4inch spool with a high set line lay and the opposite with a 4.5inch spool so that's something you should think about.
I like reels in the 4 to 4.5 inch size best so long as they have a reasonably high set line lay. I only have one larger reel which at 4 3/4inch is still ok aesthetically when attached to the rod and isn't heavy or cumbersome in any way. The method you use when retrieving makes a world of difference to the speed at which you retrieve you end tackle ;).

Mike, your 4 1/2 inch Okuma is a good sized spool and the line lay isn't low, in fact imo the line lay is a good height on the spool so as to prevent it spilling off to easily in windy conditions.

I've used these and they have a pretty quick retrieve.....

adcock stanton 5" vintage centrepin trotting reel | eBay

By the way there's no ratchet on that reel so I wouldn't buy it myself.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I had one of these Adcock Stanton’s without a ratchet it was a complete pain. Very free running in fact I found it too free running no end of tangles and got rid of it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had one of these Adcock Stanton’s without a ratchet it was a complete pain. Very free running in fact I found it too free running no end of tangles and got rid of it.

I have a 4inch and a 4 1/2inch, both have a ratchet and drag and I wouldn't part with 'em.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have had a couple of 5 " reels, each to there own but I much prefer a 4 to 4.5 size .
Providing the reel is not overly deep spooled I am not bothered about a massively fast retrieve anyway. So what if it takes a few extra bats to get the line back in. What's the rush anyways.

thecrow

Reaction score
According to this smaller could be better for requiring less force to start the reel moving.

Torque Formula (Moment of Inertia and Angular Acceleration)

In rotational motion, torque is required to produce an angular acceleration of an object. The amount of torque required to produce an angular acceleration depends on the distribution of the mass of the object. The moment of inertia is a value that describes the distribution. It can be found by integrating over the mass of all parts of the object and their distances to the center of rotation, but it is also possible to look up the moments of inertia for common shapes. The torque on a given axis is the product of the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration. The units of torque are Newton-meters

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
According to this smaller could be better for requiring less force to start the reel moving.

In rotational motion, torque is required to produce an angular acceleration of an object. The amount of torque required to produce an angular acceleration depends on the distribution of the mass of the object. The moment of inertia is a value that describes the distribution. It can be found by integrating over the mass of all parts of the object and their distances to the center of rotation, but it is also possible to look up the moments of inertia for common shapes. The torque on a given axis is the product of the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration. The units of torque are Newton-meters

Sounds like someone needs to get a life LOL.

trotter2

Reaction score

Can you explain this in English :D:thumbs:

peterjg

Reaction score
I totally agree with Crow (really I'm losing the will to live).

B

binka

It matters to me in that they all have to be the same size, my OCD could not tolerate it otherwise :D

john step

Reaction score
Not to me it doesn't. I use and enjoy what I have.
Interpret that as a double entendre if you wish:D:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought you might be interested in how to work out how much torque was needed to move different size (weight reels) well that and I was waiting for the world superbikes from Losail to start :)

I know Graham, thank's bud, I was only pulling your leg ;)

The weight of the drum and how well it operates has a lot to do with the inertia needed to kick it off turning...so they say. It's a funny one really as I have reels with seemingly heavy'ish spools/drums and they seem to need very little inertia to set them off.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
when it comes to centre pins ie what are the disadvantages of a 4" as opposed to a 4.5" other than the amount of line reeled back in per revolution on the retrieve?

Thats it in a nutshell. I accept Tiggers point about the depth of the arbor but generally speaking it will take longer to retrieve your float when using a 4" reel as opposed to a 4.5"...or bigger. Its not a big deal if youre not trotting very far but if you are then it does become quite noticeable.

4.5" seems to me to be about right...any bigger I find a bit unweildy though my personal favourite pin is 4" [ or possibly 4.25]. I've learned to put up with the longer retrieve time.

flightliner

Reaction score
You've got me there Graham, if the reel didn't revolve to my satisfaction in the conditions you describe I'd go back to using my old Mitchell match, the other last ditch option would be an old "Lincoln" reel , the one that you could turn on its axis.

thecrow

Reaction score
You've got me there Graham, if the reel didn't revolve to my satisfaction in the conditions you describe I'd go back to using my old Mitchell match, the other last ditch option would be an old "Lincoln" reel , the one that you could turn on its axis.

If the weather was cold enough to slow a reel down I reckon I would be in home :D