How many floats...

B

binka

Do you tend to lose?

I float fish a lot and it was around eighteen months ago that I last lost a float, before that I can't remember but on the last occasion even that wasn't without a fight...

wissuw.jpg

2yl1gzl.jpg

:eek:mg:

So I reckon I'm not too bad when it comes to losing floats but sitting on 'em is a different matter altogether :eek:

Are you a tree magnet when it comes to losing floats?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I honestly can't recall the last float I lost. I've broken a few or lost detachable tips and bodies, but that's about it. I can't remember the last one I lost to a tree despite ending up in trees occasionally. Fortunately, I've become pretty adept at successful kit from tree removal techniques. However, I generally manage to avoid casting into trees these days. When I end up in them it's invariably down to a fish.

slaphead

Reaction score
I am usually able to get floats back when caught in trees because they are behind me. :eek:mg:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I've got a little bit of history on this topic but only lost one in the last year and that was to a manic brownie on the Cleddau in August under an overhanging tree, tomorrow may be a different story :wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't really loose any floats through casting into trees but I do have them breaking when fish drag them through boulders etc on the river or just coming apart through usage.
Occasionally and if i'm fishing straight through I might hook into a sunken tree or some other snag and if the hook doesn't open up or the line doesn't snap below the float i'll loose it.

mikench

Reaction score
I don't lose many but then I don't catch many! Is there a connection to that phenomenon ?:rolleyes:

bracket

Reaction score
I don't lose many floats to the environment. However I do destroy quite a few due to bankside modifications. I have no qualms about altering the length or other aspect of a float whilst fishing. Ninety five percent of my floats are home made so any impromptu alterations only reduce my stocks temporarily. Float making can become an art form and I aplaud the people with the passion to do this. For me a float is expendable and does not need to be a masterpiece as long as it works. Pete.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
The last time i lost a float it was a waggler.
All i did was knock it into the reeds at the side of me and for the life of me i could not find it..
Good job i had a few extra seeing as i was only just starting to tackle up.:)

tomino2112

Reaction score
I have lost fair few mainly due to that I tend to fish very light lines and when trying to get it back line just snaps...

Last time i got stuck in tree with float was using my vintage float inherited after my grandfather. It was second cast of the day, and spend next ~3 hours getting it back. Just could not leave it..

ken more

Reaction score
I very rarely float fish these days but i still buy them, even though I know i will never use them. The chap that had a few on here recently (PurplePeanut?) i think, his were more like works of art in my humble opinion:)
I think i am trying to say that i can understand the lengths some will go too, to get them back:)

rayner

Reaction score
I rarely loose floats these days, even when I did I would have no qualms about shrugging it off and retackle with another.
If I ever lost a float they were only pence, I know all Yorkshire men are careful with their dosh.
Even now the most expensive float is only a £2.50 job so really not worth the bother of getting wet. Give it a tug, it comes free or stays where it is.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Losing floats is an occupational hazard for us anglers . . . that said, I hate it when it happens and have, in the past, been known to go in after a particular favourite if I can see it after the break off.

Many, many years ago I broke off my (then) favourite float at Old Bury Hill lake . . . . I could see it in the reeds on the far side so went to the bailiff (Graham in those days, with his two massive GSD's) and he took pity on me and loaned me the punt to go and get it. Top man!

It was one of those old Harcork type bodied floats with a transfer of a Toby Jug on it . . . .I still have it in the garage somewhere . . . .

Last edited:

tonya

Reaction score
I like fishing the margins in a tight swim. Last week caught the tree to the right of me.
Freed it with a tug and the float shot past me into the brambles on my left.
:mad:

mikench

Reaction score
On one of my waters a few pegs are very tight and in one tree I thought someone had been hanging up Xmas decorations until I saw they were floats. At least one is mine. It requires a 5' rod!:rolleyes:

I haven't been back!

steve2

Reaction score
Haven't many floats but have lost a few plugs and spinners due to fishing near snags. Even with 50lbplus braid you can't always drag a tree in. I have tried but in the end something as to give. I buy most of my lures secondhand so they are relatively cheap.