Winter is coming

meadows74

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question and so I appoligise in advance, I have only ever fished for carp and so when it comes to winter I only know how to approach winter with speci tactitics. So I usually scale everything down etc. I now find myself joing a club water with a whole range of species in and going to target other fish. My question is how do you approach the other species like bream, tench etc during the winter season.

john step

Reaction score
There are odd times tench can be caught in winter but quite frankly life is too short for that.:eek:
Roach,perch pike and bream are a much better prospect.
Water clears to look like tap water in winter so lines and hooks in smaller sizes are the norm.

Trouble is after carp fishing any hook looks small.

Roach in stillwater you can drop down to 20s and 22s when it gets cold.
Light waggler. In clear shallow water a pole waiving over their heads is a no no.
Bread punch is good. I find mid day to dusk good.

Perch well documented for worm,prawn or fish live or dead uns.

A piece of worm fished over a very light sprinkling of chopped worm is good for bites from most things.

I know nothing much about bream:eek:

Chub are good on rivers. Don't ignore cheese and bread.

PS I have just noticed your Devon location. Being warming down there your season is obviously warmer longer than up here.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
If your new club has some rivers - it might be worth trotting the odd maggot or worm down there and seeing what you can find - maybe some Grayling perhaps!;)
Tight Lines - let us know how you get on:thumbs:

meadows74

Reaction score
There are odd times tench can be caught in winter but quite frankly life is too short for that.:eek:
Roach,perch pike and bream are a much better prospect.
Water clears to look like tap water in winter so lines and hooks in smaller sizes are the norm.

Trouble is after carp fishing any hook looks small.

Roach in stillwater you can drop down to 20s and 22s when it gets cold.
Light waggler. In clear shallow water a pole waiving over their heads is a no no.
Bread punch is good. I find mid day to dusk good.

Perch well documented for worm,prawn or fish live or dead uns.

A piece of worm fished over a very light sprinkling of chopped worm is good for bites from most things.

I know nothing much about bream:eek:

Chub are good on rivers. Don't ignore cheese and bread.

PS I have just noticed your Devon location. Being warming down there your season is obviously warmer longer than up here.

lol thanks for advice and we have had a good run of it, in truth though I am now starting to get back to fishing again, I was a member of a good syndicate with real stunners in but just found the whole speci scene a little to serious for me tbh. Takes up too much time and not enough people who go just to catch fish. Now I dont care what I catch just out for the joy of playing a fish to be fair.