Defrosting maggots

mikench

Reaction score
What is the best method of the above.? I read somewhere that they should be placed in water( warm or cold?) and kept in water in the bait box to keep the air off! What is recommended by the experts?;)

Last edited:
B

binka

At this time of year I'm happy to take them out the freezer and place them in cold water, in the garage, the night before.

Just drain before leaving and fill up again when you arrive at the water, keeping them submerged will prevent them turning black and it's worth mentioning to only add to groundbait as you use it, as opposed to a whole mix at the beginning of the session.

Richox12

Reaction score
At this time of year I'm happy to take them out the freezer and place them in cold water, in the garage, the night before.

Just drain before leaving and fill up again when you arrive at the water, keeping them submerged will prevent them turning black and it's worth mentioning to only add to groundbait as you use it, as opposed to a whole mix at the beginning of the session.

Exactly same as. They MUST be in water otherwise they go to horrible mush. In summer I put them in water as soon as I get to my peg but in winter as above - night before. And, any unused can be frozen again without problems.

rayner

Reaction score
I fear I may be wrong to post as I'm nowhere close to being classed as expert in anything.
I just put them in my seat box the night before, then in water on the bank.
The only problem I've noticed with keeping them out of water is that they seem to go a little hollow and stretched eventually turning black.

I've been told that Jamie Harrison keeps them in a plastic bad with all the air squished out to make them dormant then puts them in water to keep the air off em. I've not tried this but definitely will. I know the longer they are kept without air the longer they take to come round.

john step

Reaction score
I fear I may be wrong to post as I'm nowhere close to being classed as expert in anything.
I just put them in my seat box the night before, then in water on the bank.
The only problem I've noticed with keeping them out of water is that they seem to go a little hollow and stretched eventually turning black.

I've been told that Jamie Harrison keeps them in a plastic bad with all the air squished out to make them dormant then puts them in water to keep the air off em. I've not tried this but definitely will. I know the longer they are kept without air the longer they take to come round.

Dead frozen maggots coming round? Act of God I think.

B

binka

As a bit if a funny aside I once made the mistake, many years ago, of riddling my maggots off before trying to kill them in not hot enough water.

When that failed I just bagged 'em and bunged 'em in the freezer.

I set up on a session to use them and mixed them into my groundbait for a good, intitial carpet bombing on a large gravel pit, wind in my face, and ten minutes after balling in around four rod lengths out the whole lot floated back to my feet having snuffed it full of air when they got wet before freezing :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
My wife is relieved those" disgusting dead maggots" are no longer in the freezer!

They had been there several months so I will start a fresh batch when I next have a surplus!:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
Dead frozen maggots coming round? Act of God I think.

I don't know if it's you or me John, either way one of us is a plum.
The maggots that Mr Harrison uses are not deceased, just dormant through lack of air. He then keeps them in water to prevent them coming active.
Like I said, the smother method will be used when I get shut of the dead uns in my freezer.

You must excuse my inability to spot humour without a few clues.
My brain really doesn't work as it use to.