Head torch recommends

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Fishing quite late at the moment, I’m using a really old head torch which is about as much good as a plastic fire guard, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

B

binka

It depends what you want to spend, I've had cheaper head torches such as the Korum and not got on very well with it in the respect of general function and comfort.

I then bought one of these over two years ago and it's very good...

Petzl Tactikka+ Plus 250 Lumens Headtorch | eBay

We actually use them at work early in a morning and they've ditched the ones they were using in favour of these after seeing and trying mine, there are four light level settings as well as the different colours and it doesn't eat batteries.

Very comfortable to wear to the point that you can forget about it and worth a punt if you're prepared to pay the money but it will outlast many of the cheaper ones imo.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've had Petzls for decades and recommend them highly. Even the basic models last years. I have a couple of Tikkinas hidden away in various tackle bags.

However, Petzls do tend to get a bit pricey as the feature count increases. I'm also not bothered by having a gazillion lumens and the inevitable short battery life that goes with it.

Ended up getting a LED Lenser SEO3 on a low cost deal. I've since added the optional rechargeable battery packs. It was primarily bought for work, but it doubles rather well for fishing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's loads of energiser head torches to choose from, i've used them for years and they arn't too expensive. I prefer a basic one with only a couple of different settings and maybe a red setting.......

energiser head torch | eBay

Bluenose

Reaction score
Agree with Tigger, the Energisers are spot on and usually come with batteries. I've got a mini petzl zipka too as a reserve, but the energiser is better I reckon.

ian g

Reaction score
Engergizer for me as well , got mine with 3 light setting red , low light and main beam for a tenner off ebay .

john step

Reaction score
I got one off ebay for not much money. It has two light brightness settings and a red light option for £6.40.
It has been very reliable.

It looks for all the world identical to one marketed by TFG but without their name emblazoned across the head band for which at the time I think they said "was worth £30" (My foot:eek:)

The seller was consecoa (131175) Item no.401239980380.

barbelboi

Reaction score
There's always the vintage option.....................
51n0PgeuZaL._SY300_.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
My oldest is from Dragon carp. A fiver at the time, that was about 17/18 years ago, it,s been totally reliable with no probs whatsoever.
Two years ago I saw one in Aldi at some £2-50 that I bought and put in my dedicated pike rucky.
Only used it when packing up at dusk and into dark.
No probs as yet but for the price I paid if it gave me any I could just wang it with no real sense of loss.
If I were ever to buy a new one I would look at the new panel ones that my friend was using when we packed away last night after a days piking-- I think they are properly called cob lights (circuit on board ? ) my god -- they are really powerful , goodness knows how long a battery will last, downside for me was I kept losing my night vision if he looked directly at me --- mmm, maybe not ! :eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My deep hatred of the indiscriminate use of headtorches is well known. For the life of me I do not understand why anybody needs these things as they all seem to be on permanently at the first sign of a dark cloud. Why ? Maybe it's to annoy other anglers by ruining their night vision....if so then they are extraordinarily well suited to the task.

I have a Panthervision cap with 2 Leds ( not 5) fitted under the brim. It's only ever on to rebait or to land/weigh a fish and it's never shone in the direction of anybody else. Because the lights are under the brim they shine downwards not out over the water or into other people's eyes. Back up is a small ( and i mean small) led lenser torch. If I can rebait without a light then I do.

I honestly do not know what else you need. I have tried headtorches but the strap gave me a headache and they were so intrusive I quickly abandoned them.

Maybe some people are scared of the dark....in which case I suggest they shouldnt fish at night.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My deep hatred of the indiscriminate use of headtorches is well known. For the life of me I do not understand why anybody needs these things as they all seem to be on permanently at the first sign of a dark cloud. Why ? Maybe it's to annoy other anglers by ruining their night vision....if so then they are extraordinarily well suited to the task.

I have a Panthervision cap with 2 Leds ( not 5) fitted under the brim. It's only ever on to rebait or to land/weigh a fish and it's never shone in the direction of anybody else. Because the lights are under the brim they shine downwards not out over the water or into other people's eyes. Back up is a small ( and i mean small) led lenser torch. If I can rebait without a light then I do.

I honestly do not know what else you need. I have tried head torches but the strap gave me a headache and they were so intrusive I quickly abandoned them.

Maybe some people are scared of the dark....in which case I suggest they shouldnt fish at night.

I hate wearing a head torch n'all, just don't like the feeling of it squeezing my head! Unfortunately I have to use one but I use it as little as possible and I don't really fish near anyone else so my torch light wouldn't be upsetting anyone. I've never had a cap with the light build in but if one comes up cheap I might get one.
I do need a proper light though when walking back on some of the river bankings.

mikench

Reaction score
I hate wearing a head torch n'all, just don't like the feeling of it squeezing my head! Unfortunately I have to use one but I use it as little as possible and I don't really fish near anyone else so my torch light wouldn't be upsetting anyone. I've never had a cap with the light build in but if one comes up cheap I might get one.
I do need a proper light though when walking back on some of the river bankings.

You sure do!:rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Yes.....walking back along dodgy banks is the only time I'll have my cap light on permanently. Fortunately there are only one or two places that I frequent where thats necessary.....one of them being double dangerous even in full daylight.