Illegal Aliens

G

Gareth Lewis

Over the last 3 years while out fishing on the East Anglian rivers,and drains. I have encountered several none native species.
These have included, Grass Carp, Ghost Carp, Asian Silver Carp, common and fancy goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden and blue Orfe, Common Sturgeon and Pumpkinseed fish.
Most of these are common fish for aquarist and pond keepers. Some are genuine escapes from ponds, in gardens that have been flooded. Some have been dumped because they out grew there ponds or tanks and some because they have started to eat their neighbours.
I have been hearing rumours lately of other alien species in the rivers.
European Asp. Accidently stocked from the ballast tanks of a German timber vessel.
American Largemouth Bass, Accidently stocked from the ballast tanks of a Dutch vessel. Apparently a population is thriving in Holland, which arrived from the Great Lakes area of the USA. Some of these were accidently picked up and transported to Britain.
Mississippi Paddle fish (polydon spathula). Dumped by pond keepers because they became to large for the ponds they were kept in.
Blue Catfish (ictalurus furcatus). Dumped because they started eating their neighbours.
Does any one else have knowledge or an angling experience of the above listed or any other none native species in the British river systems.

C

Craig Smith

I can remember a few yrs ago water close to me having problems with terrapins!
They must have been dumped when the kids went off the teenage mutant ninja turtles!

R

Ron Clay

I can't see the Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides) doing too well in UK, it's too cold. However the Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomeu) I am sure would do well do well. In fact I do beleive such fish are already here, stocked in a gravel pit near a USA aircraft base in the south.

I'm not very happy however bringing non-native fishes to Britain. All sorts of weird things may happen.

C

Clive Evans

Some imported species interact quite well with the natives, Ron.
Weird things maybe, but they do keep the local vox pop on their toes.

K

Kevan Farmer

It's mentioned in another thread but is relevant here. What about migratory birds? Think of some of the species which could be brought by them? It's not likely but is possible. It would all depend on spawning times co-inciding with bird migration times.

Food for thought perhaps?

Kevan

D

David Will

I seem to recall a canal , possibly the Sankey having a number of Cichlids present in a warm water area.This was quite a few years ago.

J

Jon Moores

Yes it was the Sankey-St Helens canal in St Helens, the 'Hotties' length. There was a very large head of cichlids and some other tropical fish. They thrived for many years until the factory shut off the hot water for a while. The stretch is still hot now, but there are no tropical fish anymore.