No telescopic rods

fishplate42

Reaction score
Earlier today I was reading a set of fishery rules and one rule states 'No telescopic rods of any kind'. I have written to the fishery to ask if telescopic poles were subject to the rule but I have not had a reply yet.

Now, I know that the fishery can make whatever rule it likes, but I can't think of a reason for this one, can you?

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Telescopic rods, for good or ill, evoke a certain kind of stereotype. My guess would be that the fishery doesn't want the people that may fit the stereotype. It's rather similar to fisheries that ban coloured tents, only allowing "proper" green or camo bivvies.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just done a quick search for fisheries in Kent and found it second choice.
It is a large place with 5 lakes and a mile and a half of river to fish in.
I'd say Dave is correct in saying it is to deter guesting or poaching.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just done a quick search for fisheries in Kent and found it second choice.
It is a large place with 5 lakes and a mile and a half of river to fish in.
I'd say Dave is correct in saying it is to deter guesting or poaching.

I don't think poachers worry to much about the rules PC, doubt they even read them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't think poachers worry to much about the rules PC, doubt they even read them.

I don't suppose they do, but it makes them easy to spot. One of my clubs has a no spinning rule. It often goes with the territory in a club that's got a significant number of fly anglers. Those that might like to try for chub or the rather infrequent pike with lures aren't impressed. However, I know it makes policing our water so much easier. You know at a glance when people aren't club members, or have no day ticket, when they are spinning.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't suppose they do, but it makes them easy to spot. One of my clubs has a no spinning rule. It often goes with the territory in a club that's got a significant number of fly anglers. Those that might like to try for chub or the rather infrequent pike with lures aren't impressed. However, I know it makes policing our water so much easier. You know at a glance when people aren't club members, or have no day ticket, when they are spinning.

Ah, good point,didn't think of that.

thecrow

Reaction score

That's because the best places to poach are ones where no angling is allowed and are on private land, estate lakes and RSPB reserves being favourite there are no rules on them for a poacher to read ;)

I think Sam is spot on with his view on why the fishery has this rule. There are a few different kinds of poacher within angling and its the ones that would damage fish stocks on a fishery that this rule is possibly there to deter.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't think a rule stopping a particular piece of kit would prevent wrong doing, if anyone is bent on braking rules then banning of a type of rod will never stop them.
Perhaps it's the folk that use tele rods are the ones they want to ban. It's far safer with todays PC laws to ban a rod than say the foreign type using the rod.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I am not going to name the fishery (yet) as I am waiting for a response to an e-mail I sent them yesterday - I think you can work it out as Peter obviously has.

I am not one for moaning about rules, like them or not they are their rules, but I do like to understand why a rule is there and this one has flummoxed me. I am not sure it is about poaching, what difference would a rule make? No poacher is going to bother about regulations. I have now been thinking about this for more than 24 hours (on and off - I am not that sad!) and I can't think of a reason for it - I hope the fishery condescends to answer my e-mail.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Ralph but if you wish to use a telescopic pole (aren't all poles partly telescopic) at this fishery yet to be named, why not go there and fish it with said pole, I'm sure if you're in breach of the rules you'll be told so and maybe with a logical explanation.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Ralph but if you wish to use a telescopic pole (aren't all poles partly telescopic) at this fishery yet to be named, why not go there and fish it with said pole, I'm sure if you're in breach of the rules you'll be told so and maybe with a logical explanation.

I am not too keen to go anyway. The rules are full of things like if you use this, we will confiscate your gear/tackle/bait and lots of 'NOs'. I know that some rules are there just to cover the fishery and more often than not the place is a lot friendlier than they appear, which is why I e-mailed them. No reply means no visit from me. If they can't be bothered to reply, I will not bother to go. Plenty of other places to fish.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ralph, don't be too quick to judge a fishery on the lack of response to an email, there's nothing condescending about it. Many of the fisheries with websites that I have encountered are woefully neglected and out of date. If this fishery has a Facebook page,then that might be the place to make an enquiry.

I won't name it but a fishery that I use to enjoy fishing had hardly any rules whatsoever with minimal policing, the lake now has the KHV virus, says a lot.

You need to get out and go fishing, the Canterbury Stour has no rules whatsoever! plenty of pike in it though.:D

john step

Reaction score
I would guess its a way of banning certain types who roll up with a tele rod and hide a carrier bag in the bushes until they do a quick flit at the end of the session with their meal in the bag.

We all know who this is aimed at.

I see I have a dislike for this post. Does that mean poachers are OK? Its aimed at poachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whether its the right way or wrong way to go about it I think thats what is probably behind the rule.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Strewth, I am really worried now, I use a telescopic rod; I didn't realize it was stereotyping me into the oik class, a thiever of fishes, a poor angler, a no good nerdowell and an illegal immigrant. Judging a man by his rod, whatever next!

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree what's been said about the types which do tend to use telescopic rods.
Each and almost every time I find someone poaching our club water they inevitably tend to use this arrangement. Which is a bit of a giveaway to be honest.
The other side of the coin is you could be someone on holiday with a minimalist set up and never break the rule book. It's a difficult one .
At least if you leave it open you can spot them a mile away lol.