More rods .Hummmmm

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have got to ,learn to put the blinkers on when passing certain emporiums ( loike the stall on the market in blackheath) a few week ago he had a very nice Wychwood 13 foot powerfloat that was mine as soon as i spotted it today he had a wychwood 12 foot River Quiver tri tip that is now mine one of the quiver tips was stuck but soon got that out ok now it's perfect not a mark on it even still had the clear cover on the cork handle .

I have now lost count offically of the number of rods i have too many by far is the best answer but .....

PG ...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
and if you have a wife and she asks how much it was always say half of what you paid for it.
Or go the other way and use the "Its easier to beg forgivness,than ask permission " route,

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yes......i am struggling with the whole concept of "too many rods".....or reels for that matter.
Well the good news is there is no Mrs MD that one was fixed 30 yeras ago the biger problem is space (the final frontier) modern flats are made for people that have no belongings or hobbies or interests .

Althou i have to admit i have been finding it hard get my head around too many rods concept it is more needs must basis . :wh :(

jasonbean1

Reaction score
This year i had to buy a new bed just to store my rods!

Running out of space I had to buy a steel frame bed to give me maximum room underneath it.

The yesterday I had to put 2 more shelves up just to put reels on

I'm already thinking where I can gain extra space from as I'm sure the tackle collection is going to grow"...:eek:mg::D

B

binka

Running out of space I had to buy a steel frame bed to give me maximum room underneath it.

You could do with extendable bed legs.

Just jack it up a bit further every time it gets full under there... Watch your head when you get near the ceiling though! :D

john step

Reaction score
Jason, how about one of those washing drying racks you used to see in times gone by.
They hung from the ceiling and were accessed by a rope and pulley.
I am sure rods would fit along one.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Man up you lot. Its how you train them. Just say I AM going to buy that new rod and then nurse the wounds.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I've declined a few tempting ebay items lately. Yes, it would be nice to have another etc. But I'm feeling like those billionaires who discover you can only eat one lunch. I'm more in need of some good fishing than of another rod, to be honest. Sorry. Feel like I'm letting the side down.

trotter2

Reaction score
Recently purchased two new drennan float rods, when I find something better I inevitably get rid of something.That way I keep the wife happy ,and keep stocks manageable.
I have no sentiment with gear what so ever .:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Recently purchased two new drennan float rods, when I find something better I inevitably get rid of something.That way I keep the wife happy ,and keep stocks manageable.
I have no sentiment with gear what so ever .:)

Neither do I, it's just the getting rid of bit that seems to elude me.:eek:
I am coming round to the fact that I need to sell some gear. I've even gone as far as separating out the redundant rods. However, the prospect of the rigmarole of actually selling leaves me cold.

dalesman

Reaction score
Neither do I, it's just the getting rid of bit that seems to elude me.:eek:
I am coming round to the fact that I need to sell some gear. I've even gone as far as separating out the redundant rods. However, the prospect of the rigmarole of actually selling leaves me cold.

Once you dip your toe into selling redundant rods and reel, its not surprising how quickly those funds are used up buying shiny new gear :eek:mg:.

trotter2

Reaction score
That's the best thing about selling your old unused gear, it gives you extra cash to spend on new stuff :thumbs:

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yup think i got to get into the selling stuff off thingy .

But it wont be rods and reels for sale if anything it will be poles and over sized seatboxes , nothing special thou smaller Maver poles Ron Thompson 11 meter and under jobs make my back sore so space hoggging right now .

May have to try a flea bay number ..

PG ...

mikench

Reaction score
I don't think I need any more rods but if size matters I might just need/want/fancy a 15 or 17 footer! :) Deluded or what!:rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't think I need any more rods but if size matters I might just need/want/fancy a 15 or 17 footer! :) Deluded or what!:rolleyes:

Unless you are fishing really deep stillwaters, or rivers with enough room to use them, you don't need 15/17' rods at all. Even if you are doing either, there are ways to avoid the need for long rods. Then there are those that simply prefer not to use long rods. I have a real soft spot for long rods, but I'll use shorter rods when I can.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
It's true we managed for years with rods at a maximum length of 14', and can do so now. But if you find you get into river fishing, and in particular, rivers of slow to moderate pace, you will appreciate the benefits of longer rods. For keeping the line straight, behind top-and-bottom floats, I've found that longer rods take a lot of the hard work out of it. On fast rivers, the pace of the flow helps to over-ride downstream wind, and fishing the waggler is another matter entirely.
But I wouldn't set up a stick on my local Trent, plagued as it is by downstreamers, with a rod less than 15'. Good ones are still a delight to handle, despite the length.