17' Acolyte short video

dalesman

Reaction score
Wife has just bought me the 14' version for Chrimbo, wonder if she can exchange it before the big day for a 17' :wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
Dalesman,
had you been down at the river yesterday you'd not have needed to watch the video.;)

Don't rush to swap a 14' Plus for the Acolyte 17' though. It's a bit more Ultra than Plus. A 15' Plus would be a different kettle of fish.

dalesman

Reaction score
Dalesman,
had you been down at the river yesterday you'd not have needed to watch the video.;)

Don't rush to swap a 14' Plus for the Acolyte 17' though. It's a bit more Ultra than Plus. A 15' Plus would be a different kettle of fish.

I had planned to fish, but got called into work :(, gear was in the car, penned a date for Thurs.

So I take it you now have 17' rod :wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I take it you now have 17' rod :wh

Chris has got to the stage in his life where he simply can't resist a long stiff rod :eek:....so i'd say your right in thinking he's got his hands on one:eek::eek::eek:mg:

B

binka

Where did Drennan get that name from? acolyte has nothing remotely connected to angling although i have to admit it sounds right.

Probably a distant association to the monks and the carp stew ponds which they farmed :eek: :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Where did Drennan get that name from? acolyte has nothing remotely connected to angling although i have to admit it sounds right.

I suspect that Drennan (or the competition) had simply used just about every viable variation and combination of words with "light" or "lite" in them. Time to move onto words with "lyte" in them to vary the theme. I bet they regret using "Ultralight" on the not especially light weight Matchpro. Those pesky sods at Normark had already nabbed "Microlite", so that, or "Microlight", was out.

bracket

Reaction score
I have just watched the video, yes it's OK. My Lady bought me a 14ft acolyte two years ago, which is ideal for the type of river fishing that I do, and like to do, so I expect a 17ft would perform much the same. What really did interest me was the trotting technique being used. Paying off the line from the reel, by hand was a style I learnt as a kid and have used ever since. This method of trotting can be used with any type of reel. So it begs the question which one of you purists is going to tell umpteen times World Champion Alan he should have used a Pin?:wh Pete.

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi bracket as you know its a technique that can be used with any reel ,feeding line like on the video is used to control the speed of the trot and give you very precise control .
You see a top of top anglers going it including the late Ivan Marks.