Zig fishing for smaller species

meadows74

Reaction score
Since I started fishing for other species beside speci carp I have noted that zig fishing is a tactic that does not seem to be used. Has anyone ever tried using the zig method or is it considered pointless when compaired to float fishing?

thecrow

Reaction score
I have caught Bream when zigging in the past but no other silvers, I would think that float fishing would be a better proposition for fishing midwater or at whatever depth you want to try being a lot more sensitive as far as bite indication goes.

meadows74

Reaction score
I have caught Bream when zigging in the past but no other silvers, I would think that float fishing would be a better proposition for fishing midwater or at whatever depth you want to try being a lot more sensitive as far as bite indication goes.

Thats what I was thinking plus the only advantage is with a zig you don't have to watch your rods. Just out of interest what hookbait did u use to catch a bream

thecrow

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking plus the only advantage is with a zig you don't have to watch your rods. Just out of interest what hookbait did u use to catch a bream

Pop ups, I caught quiet a few on zigs but only ever from the one water, the only way I knew they had taken the bait was the rod tip nodding, they were not very big fish just a couple of pounds.

Philip

Reaction score
Before the term Zig was used people wrote about using anchored crust up on the surface which was basically a free running lead fishing with a buoyant bit of bread crust with the hooklink set to the depth of the water. The Crust would rise to the surface but be anchored from below.

I remember as a kid we use to use it on hot summer days down on Kent gravel pits when we saw big shoals of fish up on the surface. It was always exciting to watch them come and start attacking the bread until a bigger one finally took it. Interestingly one of the most common fish we caught like that was Bream ! However Roach, Rudd and Tench also used to get caught but we were always hoping for Carp which were allot less common then. Tench & Bream are happy to feed up on the surface far more than people think I recon.

One of the advantages of anchored crust fished this way was that surface drift would not impact you so much and also if ducks became an issue you could just reel in a few turns to submerge the bread and then let it pop back up again when they left.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
One of the advantages of anchored crust fished this way was that surface drift would not impact you so much and also if ducks became an issue you could just reel in a few turns to submerge the bread and then let it pop back up again when they left.

Untill you get a coot in the area the dang things dive to go after your bread P I T A big time Grrrrrrr :wh

PG ...

Philip

Reaction score
Untill you get a coot in the area the dang things dive to go after your bread P I T A big time Grrrrrrr :wh

PG ...

True...or a persistant seagull who dive bombs it and lets not get started on tufties ! ...Basically nothing is ever 100% foolproof but every little helps.