black friday

jasonbean1

Reaction score
well spent £300 this morning and I reckon I got some good deals

worthy checking out fishing republic...drennan rods going cheap and angling direct discount code BFD15

hurry while stocks last!:)

B

binka

I've splurged far too much just lately to even contemplate Black Friday.

Oh...

Go on then! :D

mikench

Reaction score
Ditto and you know why Steve!:rolleyes: I have seen a Shimano GT 2500 reel which I quite like the look of - any good?:)

B

binka

I have seen a Shimano GT 2500 reel which I quite like the look of - any good?:)

I'm not a Shimmy fan Mike.

In all fairness I gave them a chance but the one time I dipped my toe in at the low end of their range, just to find out, the spool collapsed on me whilst loading the line on in my living room.

Unlike those superior, robust Daiwas ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have seen a Shimano GT 2500 reel which I quite like the look of - any good?:)

Do you mean the Super GT-RD? It's a solid little reel with the bonus of a large diameter spool and spool reducers. The 2500 isn't a lightweight at 11.5oz (just weighed mine). The drag isn't the finest you'll ever encounter, but it is ok for a rear drag reel in its price bracket. You should be able to get one for £60-65. If it's much more, it's not a particularly good price.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I bought a 13’ Acolyte Plus today from Fishing Republic for £132

I just read about a rumor that they’ve gone bust, I hope it’s just that

mikench

Reaction score
Do you mean the Super GT-RD? It's a solid little reel with the bonus of a large diameter spool and spool reducers. The 2500 isn't a lightweight at 11.5oz (just weighed mine). The drag isn't the finest you'll ever encounter, but it is ok for a rear drag reel in its price bracket. You should be able to get one for £60-65. If it's much more, it's not a particularly good price.

That's the one Sam! I don't need one but........! Isn't the fighting drag excellent?

sam vimes

Reaction score
That's the one Sam! I don't need one but........! Isn't the fighting drag excellent?

Fightin' Drag is just a quick way of altering the main drag. It can be very useful, but it doesn't make the main drag better or worse.

sam vimes

Reaction score

They are listed on the Stock Exchange. Had they gone bust, their shares would be suspended from trading. The bottom line is they haven't gone bust as of today.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I bought a 13’ Acolyte Plus today from Fishing Republic for £132

Used ones have been selling for more than that on eBay lately

B

binka

Does anyone think we'll ever get a 'White' Friday, and if so what will it entail? :)

davebhoy

Reaction score
They are listed on the Stock Exchange. Had they gone bust, their shares would be suspended from trading. The bottom line is they haven't gone bust as of today.

No, I know, but companies are sometimes effectively bust a long time before the stock exchange knows about it. I should have said going bust which would be a worry as well seeing as they’ve got my money now.

nottskev

Reaction score
Well, I didn't get any Black Friday bargains - having noticed I've got too much gear, I'm trying not to buy more.

But then I was looking on Ebay..... and I've just bought a mint Shimano Aero 1000x, with unused spare spool, for £46. A little Japanese gem, and the second mint Aero (!) I've found for under £50 this year. Forward, into the past, as far as me and Shimano reels are concerned.

I think it was George Melly who said that when his interest in sex petered out, it felt great to be no longer chained to an idiot. I wonder if it works like that with fishing tackle.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
earlier this week Fosters were selling the 10-11' tourney feeder rod for £125 the nearest price to that was fishing republic at £225, everywhere else was around £300, needless to say they sold out very quickly and I missed out,
I heard about the drennan rods the other day, but I am happy with the float rods that I have,

davebhoy

Reaction score
Well, I didn't get any Black Friday bargains - having noticed I've got too much gear, I'm trying not to buy more.

But then I was looking on Ebay..... and I've just bought a mint Shimano Aero 1000x, with unused spare spool, for £46. A little Japanese gem, and the second mint Aero (!) I've found for under £50 this year. Forward, into the past, as far as me and Shimano reels are concerned.

I think it was George Melly who said that when his interest in sex petered out, it felt great to be no longer chained to an idiot. I wonder if it works like that with fishing tackle.

I don’t like the sound of that, I quite like my idiot, he’s good fun

davebhoy

Reaction score
No, I know, but companies are sometimes effectively bust a long time before the stock exchange knows about it. I should have said going bust which would be a worry as well seeing as they’ve got my money now.

I just read the article in the anglers mail about it, they don’t look like they’re going bust to me

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Last of big spenders bought 8 x red maggot hooks for 1.50 each Angling Direct.
Normally 2.40!