Abu 506 mkll

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Well one of my treats from the sales yesterday was a pair of Abu 506mkll's. Now in aware they have some problems and some people think there a total pile of poo. Main critisism being the line getting in behind the release button.

It will only be used for light lines and I won't be putting too much line on to stop the bedding in.

Are they really that bad and have I totally wasted my money?

I did read you can put a shim of foam behind th release button to stop the line getting in there.

Just wondered if any one has used them for a few years and got to like them.

mikench

Reaction score
I have a 501 and a new 507 which I like a lot. I now use the 507 whenever I float fish and, touch wood, I have had no issues with it! It is a delight for me to use it! I have Sensor on two spools and float fish on another from 4 to 6lb. The spools had a few rough edges which I filed down and the chenille strip on one was coming away but I superglued it back! These faults shouldn't happen of course but they were no big deal!

Quite a few younger anglers have asked me what kind of reel it was! You have not wasted your money Jason !:)

greenie62

Reaction score
....Just wondered if any one has used them for a few years and got to like them.

The current 506mkII was only released a few years ago - I've had mine for 3 years now - and am quite happy with it - there are one or two piddling niggles with it - locating pins on back of spool coming lose/not fixed/incorrect depth/etc -depending on the spool being used - high capacity/match spool, pathetic clutch, sticking bail pins. Many of these are manufacturing quality issues and vary enormously between reels - this variability being a manufacturing quality issue in itself!:eek::eek:mg:

When used 506 mkIIs are sold on e-bay, or quoted as being the model that someone is using, they might not be the same as mine since it would appear there are several different 'releases' of the mkII - perhaps from different plants or for different markets.
After hearing about the problems associated with the mkIs - it looked like most of the mkI problems had been addressed on the mkII - e.g. chenille lining to the spools to prevent line going behind on winding-in. Unfortunately - as Mikench pointed out - this has brought more QC problems.:eek:mg:

I like mine - just wish it wouldn't have these annoying little faults!:confused:

greenie62

Reaction score
.... Mike is it the 506mk11 you have

It's NOT the Mark Eleven (11) - it's the Mark Two (II) - Just realised that the confusion may have occured because of the font that a reader is using to display the posts, in that an non-serif post may show them both the same(?):eek::eek:

mikench

Reaction score
Jason just run your fingers around the spool where the line will lay and you may feel tiny plastic protusions ( I did) which you can file off with a small file or some fine sandpaper. Then check the chenille strips on each spool. After that load with line and try it.:)

robcourt82

Reaction score
I really like mine, however on sunday I had an issue whereby I hooked a few decent fish and while the handle was turning I wasn't gaining any line. Bit perplexed why it was happening. Never been an issue before though.

iain t

Reaction score
Like most of the closed reels too much line causes the problem. I have a few of the ABU reels and find loading the spool between 50 to 70 yards cures the problem of the line going behind the spool. As for the 506 MK2, i bought mine when they first came out and i use it a lot on windy days and never had any problems, my old 505 is still my favourite.

robcourt82

Reaction score
To be honest mike I wouldn't have a clue.... I've never actually knowingly used the clutches on them. I had old daiwas before that never had clutches so I just automatically use the backwind. It does make perfect sense though and I'm quite embarrassed I never thought of it myself! :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
Rob the drag control is at the rear on my 507 but I think it is on the side of the handle on the 506! It is just a knurled knob you turn one way or the other! I recall I had a similar problem with my 507 when instead of a diminutive roach I was fishing for, I caught a 6lb carp and couldn't understand why it was continuing to take line! Once I set the drag all was well!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
To be honest mike I wouldn't have a clue.... I've never actually knowingly used the clutches on them. I had old daiwas before that never had clutches so I just automatically use the backwind. It does make perfect sense though and I'm quite embarrassed I never thought of it myself! :eek:mg:

I have the old 120m's and I made the mistake of oiling the clutch washers on the drag...ended up with the same problem as you!

greenie62

Reaction score
To be honest mike I wouldn't have a clue.... I've never actually knowingly used the clutches on them. I had old daiwas before that never had clutches so I just automatically use the backwind.....! :eek:mg:
.......it is on the side of the handle on the 506! It is just a knurled knob you turn one way or the other!......

Sounds like Mikench says - you've got the drag set too loose!
Also - the current 506mkII - has a 'facility' whereby the clutch slackens off for you automatically when you try to backwind if you don't have the anti-backwind ON! This may further explain the 'slipping clutch'!:D

Good luck - keep practising:thumbs:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Well they arrived and i thought they came without the chenille fitted as there was a bag full of strips in the box. Checked the spools and they had it on but a couple of random bits missing. I presssume it meant to be on top and bottom of all spools, deep and shallow?

greenie62

Reaction score
..... there was a bag full of strips in the box. Checked the spools and they had it on but a couple of random bits missing. I presssume it meant to be on top and bottom of all spools, deep and shallow?

Iirc that's a sign that it's one of the more recent MkIIs - though I'd be a bit concerned with the missing 'bits' - mine go nicely around the spools - so shouldn't catch the line and wrap it behind the spool!:eek:

Good luck with them!

mikench

Reaction score
Jason you don't want gaps so I would fill them with bits of chenille or replace the entire strip. Great reel but poor quality control!:)