Top tip

mikench

Reaction score
If you could give to a novice just one piece of advice what would it be!

I think it would be that apart from rods , reels , hooks etc always buy at least two! I have just spent half an hour trying to find my bait apron, handwarmer and small spool of 6 lb fluorocarbon! I cannot have lost them!

Just ordered an ESP bait pouch at a good price which looks good for my plans for minimalist riverfishing!:rolleyes:

tomino2112

Reaction score
Top tip I have received so far was from one of the TAFishung videos, actually the tip was fron that episode's "guest".

When you get snagged try putting tension on line (pull) and then "play" the line like you would guitar string. I have saved countless snags like that

Another Dave

Reaction score
Some of the best items in the tackle shop are not on display so make sure to ask the assistant for 100 yards of shoreline, a long weight and a right handed punch.

nottskev

Reaction score
Putting aside all the gear issues, as you suggest: leave your gear at home, go to a water you plan to fish, and stand or sit unobtrusively behind an angler who's catching. It's what I do now occasionally, if going to a new place or taking up a new method, and I wish I'd done it more as a novice. Even after years of fishing, I'd drive fair distances to watch top anglers fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
I knew Sensor was good but never knew you could impersonate Eric Clapton on it!:rolleyes:

Good tip!:)

mikench

Reaction score
Putting aside all the gear issues, as you suggest: leave your gear at home, go to a water you plan to fish, and stand or sit unobtrusively behind an angler who's catching. It's what I do now occasionally, if going to a new place or taking up a new method, and I wish I'd done it more as a novice. Even after years of fishing, I'd drive fair distances to watch top anglers fishing.

When would be convenient Kev?:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Further to this. I most probably spend more time just walking the river and observing rather than actually fishing it, especially when the water is clear as it most of the time on my stretch of the Stour:( you can map the terrain, holes, snags etc and attempt to commit to memory for when the river finally colours up. Spent at least an hour Friday just observing pike in the weir pool watching them feed on some tasty morsels I had left over from a previous trip, very interesting watching their cautious approach.

Last edited:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Keep notes - water levels, depths & distances etc.. (not guitar chords :D)

greenie62

Reaction score
If you could give to a novice just one piece of advice what would it be!..........Just ordered an ESP bait pouch at a good price which looks good for my plans for minimalist riverfishing!:rolleyes:

:)Oh NO, Mike! - Can't believe your cogent advice to a Novice - to minimise the gear he takes - starts with buying MORE gear!:eek::D:D:confused::eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
Learn your waters take time to do this without fishing, walk the banks watch for fish and remember that no matter where they are they are wild creatures that will all react differently to noise and shadows on the bank. Above all be patient

mikench

Reaction score
I can't help being a hypocrite Mike and I didn't have one! It ( the pouch) is an integral part of my proposed minimalist approach and I couldn't find my maggot apron!

I suppose if I was to follow my advice I would have to buy another ! However I know that my original bait apron will now turn up so I have two thus following my advice!

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
I can't help being a hypocrite Mike and I didn't have one! It ( the pouch) is an integral part of my proposed minimalist approach and I couldn't find my maggot apron!

I suppose if I was to follow my advice I would have to buy another ! However I know that my original bait apron will now turn up so I have two thus following my advice!

Totally agree, if they’re cheap and essential then buy two, or three, or four. I buy loads of disgorgers but still only ever seem to have one in my box, occasionally none.

I did exactly the same thing, as I was on my way out one time I couldn’t find my apron and thectackle shop only had the esp pouch. I never got on with it so I ordered two bait aprons and then of course the first one turned up

bracket

Reaction score
Very basic bit of advice and one I adhere to even now. Firstly fish for a bite. Pete.