Cralusso floats

mikench

Reaction score
Being an inveterate acquirer of tackle( much of which I will never use) and a curious person, i couldn't resist trying one of the above! It's a river float of 2 gram to be precise. It comes with orange and yellow antennae and two"sticks" ie alloy rods which protude one downwards and a shorter one at a 20 degree angle to the vertical! I assume the shorter one is a counterbalance and assume you attach the line to it by float rubbers on the longer rod!

I also assume you add the required shotting to the line as usual!

I would appreciate any comments on its use as it looks a very unusual float and very radical in its design. It floats and cocks in my spaghetti jar without any shot attached!;) I might just try it on my great adventure;)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Cralusso is the company, what model of float is it?

I use their Bolo floats, it's a rod and line float designed for trotting that allows you to hold it back hard without it drifting in towards the bank. Does exactly what it's supposed to but it's splashy on the strike.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
It sounds like one of those flat floats that pole fishermen use in rivers - no idea what the theory is - one of the match guys will surely know. Think they are for like strong flows / floods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Cralusso is a brand name. They produce a large number of different types of float. Some are fairly standard, others rather different and innovative. Unless you know the name/type of float you have, it's rather difficult to say what's what.

Many people envisage a certain thing when they see the Cralusso name. It's invariably a flat "lollipop" style float they think of. The reality is that the most common lollipop style float is a Sensas Desque float.

I used to use quite a few different types of Cralusso floats, especially various flowing water, running line, floats. I also have a fair selection of Cralusso wagglers and pole floats.

mikench

Reaction score
It's called cralusso ray 2gr! It looks like it cannot possibly work! Have I bought a pup?:(

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's called cralusso ray 2gr! It looks like it cannot possibly work! Have I bought a pup?:(

No, it's an excellent running water pole float (of the lollipop type). Unfortunately, it's not the most useful of floats for running line and proper trotting. It's meant to be fished mostly static, held back hard, and occasionally inched through a swim.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Sam! I will give it a try for conventional trotting and see how it shapes up! That Scothorne bloke has a lot to answer for!:rolleyes:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That would be like buying a screwdriver and seeing how well it functions as a mallet.

It really is for fishing dam' nigh static, just downstream of the rod/pole tip, in deep,fast water.

We used to achieve the same effect on the tidal Thames using a porcupine quill, overshotted by anything up to five times (just bung on more shot till the float sits better than half-way vertical), overdepth (bulk shot just off the deck) and with a big buffer shot - often a SSG - ubove the float, up in the air, to keep an angle in the line so a biting fish sank the float before it felt the rod top. Not very elegant, but good on its day, and much cheaper.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks Sam! I will give it a try for conventional trotting and see how it shapes up! That Scothorne bloke has a lot to answer for!:rolleyes:

Here's Mr Scothorne showing what you can do with a huge example of the flat float. Barbel fishing - but not as most of us know it.

YouTube