Olivettes

mikench

Reaction score
When using them instead of bulk shot should they be near the float or the hook?

john step

Reaction score
Hook. put them near the float and get some wonderful tangles.:eek:

mikench

Reaction score
That is what I thought but felt the need for an experienced opinion! Thanks chaps!:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm uncomfortable disagreeing with anglers far more experienced than myself but have found using an olivette directly under the float has its place. We do after all often bulk shot just below the float, so why not substitute shot for an olivette?

nottskev

Reaction score
Why not flout convention now and again! I bet you sometimes fish with little or no shot down for those fabulous rudd, and if you want to shot a waggler down, for the rod or whip, with all or nearly all the weight under the float, you can use whatever you like for the weight.... large shot, lead wire on the float itself, brass loading, or even an olivette, if you want to.

It wouldn't usually occur to me though, to use an olivette in that way, and I think Mike is asking about setting up a winter river trotting rig, where the olivette is there to hold the bait down in the flow and in the zone where the fish are likely to be feeding, hence the answer "nearer the hook". An olivette near the float on a river rig is not really helping to put your bait down where you want it. An olivette-down rig can also be easier to cast and control than one with more shot spread over the line. The disadvantage is that it won't be geared up to attract bites on the drop or in the upper levels so well, but that's usually more of a warmer weather thing anyway.

I've just remembered reading that some anglers on winter commercials use an olivette of a few grams in preference to a bomb - for the quiet entry into the water! Just shows that with fishing gear, we always find ways to use things beyond what we're meant to do with them. The proof of the pudding, of course.......

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm uncomfortable disagreeing with anglers far more experienced than myself but have found using an olivette directly under the float has its place. We do after all often bulk shot just below the float, so why not substitute shot for an olivette?

I wouldn't normally set up a waggler with an olivette where most would have locking shot. However, I do regularly use an olivette when fishing with a waggler. If the need arises to shallow up and fish on the drop, I have no qualms about moving the olivette tight to the float.

When I use an olivette when trotting, the olivette is never above halfway between the base of the float and the hook.

mikench

Reaction score
I can see a degree of expérimention maybe the order of the day so I will try an olivette just for the hell of it! I just hope the weather plays ball!:)

The Runner

Reaction score
I regularly use an in line olivette held in place by a couple of no8s instead of locking shot on waggler rigs, especially for fishing a whip.
Much easier than continually moving shot around if you're needing to be changing depth all the time.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only started using olivettes because of the struggle I have putting on and taking off split shot with my arthritic fingers and being able to slide them up and down the line without fear of damaging the mono made them a no brainier.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Never used an olivette but i quite like the idea because the split shot i have is terrible. Except the tub of No. 8s i bought which, as i'm sure you lot all know, are the biggest lead ones you can get.

I often find a bit of tackle on my trips and because i'm a tight s0d i always reclaim what i can. Some of the shot i find is way better than the crud i have so i know there's some better ones out there, assuming it's not someone with a stash of old lead shot.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've just remembered reading that some anglers on winter commercials use an olivette of a few grams in preference to a bomb - for the quiet entry into the water! Just shows that with fishing gear, we always find ways to use things beyond what we're meant to do with them. The proof of the pudding, of course.......[/QUOTE]

I use Olivettes instead of bomb now and then, in the winter you seem to get more confident takes, maybe that could be down to it being less obtrusive if the water is slighty clearer ?

Molehill

Reaction score
As a slight side-track to the thread and a comment above, what split shot do people prefer (above size 8s). There,s soft shot, double cut shot and different makes and I'm also at a bit of a loss as to the benefits or otherwise of each.

So from about size 6 - BB on main lines normally from 3 - 5lb, which and why?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I often use up to a 10grm olivette as the bulk "shot" when trotting the Stour in full winter trim. Below that will be a single "dropper" which will be anything from a No:4 up to a AAA shot. That sort of shotting pattern is very simple and basic but highly successful especially on days when the chub are lined up.

However, there is little or no scope for tinkering with the shotting - and I'm an inveterate tinkerer. So my go to pattern is a bulk of shot instead of an olivette which may be made up of SSG, AAA or AA shot. I can then play around with that combination in several ways.

Particularly when the Stour and Avon are running clear in winter the chub can become "shot shy". I will then often bulk everything around the float with just a single dropper on the hooklength. When I'm feeling lazy I will just experiment with what I've already set up but usually switch to a waggler, loaded or otherwise, with very little shot down.

In very basic terms, my shotting preferences are determined by the river conditions and, more importantly, feeding methods. In my case that is invariably loose fed maggot.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't use olivets at all, I prefer the versatility of shot. Much like you Neil I tinker with the shot to match the conditions and moods of the fish.

rayner

Reaction score
The only time I use an Olivet is when I'm whip fishing, stopped with tight float stops. Float stops make for easier moving, not that I've ever moved an Olivet.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've found those lock slide olivettes can fall off very easily, so not the right olivette in my book.

I wouldn't use them on a commie, where they are likely to get really battered, but I have been using them for about three years for almost all my trotting. I lose one very occasionally, but generally use one for months on end and multiple sessions. If I lose them, it's invariably because they fall through a net and get pulleded off when a fish thrashes about in the net. I wouldn't recommend them if I were losing them all the time.

Richox12

Reaction score
I've found those lock slide olivettes can fall off very easily, so not the right olivette in my book.

I used to worry about 'pegged' or 'spigotted' olivettes falling off but in practice it has never happened (unless I had the rig stuck in dense weed or something in which case i'm glad it came off rather than the line break). With the olivettes held by silicone it is so much easier to move them around rather than moving shot and risking damaging the line and also taking an age moving shot one by one.