Winter fishing

mikench

Reaction score
River fishing with a pin, gentles, chubber float and an olivette! Nothing else at all ! I will report back if and when I return with a little success!:rolleyes: It will be hard to go minimalist but then my tackle vest weights 2 tons!

john step

Reaction score
My attitude is to fish for bites. It gets difficult anyway so I just pick venues and species.
Pike,perch, roach and sometimes chub.
As winter progresses I take breaks from the Pike and like to try something with a little finesse.
Fine lines and small hooks start to look impossibly small compared to pike tackle.
The advantage with pike however is that in very cold weather I can stick my hands in my pockets and not hold the rod all the time.

B

binka

Following a few lean sessions of late I will be reverting to maggot and float tactics purely for a few bites.

I sat for six very cold and biteless hours on the river last weekend with nothing, and more noticeably no perch at all, interested in my worms and my targeted approach will therefore become much more of a general approach the next time out, whenever that will be.

In all fairness I have taken some good perch on maggot through the colder months and I really ought to give them more of a go.

Unless the river's significantly up and coloured, in which case it will be mashed bread with a big lump of crust on the hook for the chub and barbel :)

Philip

Reaction score
I had an hour spare so went down a bit of river I'd been meaning to give a go for ages and first cast (on a new rod & reel) caught a nice Roach followed by several others in the space of 30mins on bread. Seems I hit on a pocket of them & they seem to be of all sizes which adds to the anticipation.

Thats my winter fishing sorted for the next few weeks.

rayner

Reaction score
If things carry on as they are at the moment my next fishing will involve a couple of pints of casters. Maybe next June or July.
Winter looks a no go. :(

mikench

Reaction score
Rayner it is I who should be feeling despondent as a result of a combination of incompetence and inexperience ! I enjoyed the attempt however and I was out in the fresh air and sunshine! I hope your response is not health related!:( All the best!:)

Philip

Reaction score
If things carry on as they are at the moment my next fishing will involve a couple of pints of casters. Maybe next June or July.
Winter looks a no go. :(

I know you have been fishing commercials (or at least I think you said you had) for the access.

Have you considered a local canal if you have any ? ....flat banks and in some places you could literally fish out of the car. Stick out a worm and you might nab yourself a nice Perch.

rayner

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.
All my troubles are health related, the most recent issue is sterile pyuria.
I have had a bout of it before that was sorted in just over a week with pills. Main problem for me is I've developed a resistance to antibiotics.
The episode I'm having at the moment is causing me to urinate every 30mins, even through the night.
I don't feel ill but fishing is out at the moment. It will pass.

mikench

Reaction score
I had an hour spare so went down a bit of river I'd been meaning to give a go for ages and first cast (on a new rod & reel) caught a nice Roach followed by several others in the space of 30mins on bread. Seems I hit on a pocket of them & they seem to be of all sizes which adds to the anticipation.

Thats my winter fishing sorted for the next few weeks.

Was that Warburtons ou une baguette?:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
Was that Warburtons ou une baguette?:rolleyes:

Cheap white sliced.

Fresh baguettes are naff for fishing as they are far too dry and crumbly. However stick one in a couple of plastic bags and tie them tightly shut and chuck em in your shed for 3 days and they become like rubber and stay on the hook brilliantly.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I found a couple of Drennan "Wire Roach" pole floats in a drawer in my tackle shed, so it is going to be 0.10 to 0.08 line and a fine 20,s hook, number 3 laccy and off to bother some roach on a local stillwater or canal with hemp and bread punch and liquidized bread, that has been blitzed a few times when frozen and sieved each time, I want to catch them not feed them

mikench

Reaction score
Cheap white sliced.

Fresh baguettes are naff for fishing as they are far too dry and crumbly. However stick one in a couple of plastic bags and tie them tightly shut and chuck em in your shed for 3 days and they become like rubber and stay on the hook brilliantly.

I'll try that Philip!:)

Philip

Reaction score

If your after a Chub (which I think you said you are) then its a really good bait when ledgering for them.

Remember it will float for some time after you cast so if you want it near the bottom either pin it down with a shot/weight near the hook or fish a very short hooklink so it pops up off the lead.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Philip. Whilst ostensibly after Chub, I am happy with anything ! Naively I convinced myself on Friday that I would catch grayling !:(