Lost in a Book

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I used to have one of those books, bought in the early eighties and used to find trout waters, both lakes and river fishing. I think I gave mine to a local charity shop years ago.

Never gone in search of course water though!

Skoda

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, thoroughly enjoyable article. I had a weeks fishing in Ireland in September and they had a copy of this book at the B&B we stayed in. Good condition as well!

Cheers

Andy

W

Wolfman Woody

Some names bringing back memories there, Mark.

"He who walks with one eye on the past walks around half blind, but he who walks with both eyes on the future walks around completely blind." - Dunno who said it. True though.

Deanos

Reaction score
"He who walks with both eyes wide open, but still walks into a lamppost is probably pissed"

Gordon Whoppit said that to me last week when I went to see him in hospital, after walking into a wall after drinking too much!

N

Nobby C (ACA)

Got a copy in my car, a good read and a bite of nostalgia for yellow glass rods and boiler suits. Top stuff.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It was a period of angling history that was unknown to myself Mark. I was otherwise involved in the angling history of another country.

But I have seen the originals of all those match reports, and many other articles too.

Some time ago I was privy to the examination of a number of the late Colin Dyson's files!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
John Cadd is still around though his CARP record for the Thames of 31lb has long been beaten - he lives near Ringwood rather than Oxford these days.

Mrs Abbott ('Ma Abbott') is long gone though the fishery is available to CAC members. I kicked myself that I never tried it in its ticket days for the firsttime I fished it when CAC got it I had a 2lb roach (never to be repeated, sadly).

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I actually took that photograph of Graham and Roger ...... and can still remember the day it happened ...

J K

Reaction score
I have lived most of my life not that far from where the River Tame joins the River Trent. As kids we regularly used to be in the fields alongside the Tame, it was an open sewer. I never thought I would see it a clean and healthy river in my lifetime.

Reaction score
Thanks for this article mark, it brought back fond memories. And also made me aware of the both the importance of our heritage and the significance of appreciating what we cherish now.

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I actually took that photograph of Graham and Roger ...... and can still remember the day it happened ...</blockquote>

Make a great caption competition Ed,

Heck Graham ,you caught a fish!!, is it a real one Roger?.

E

Nooooooooo --It's the inflatable one ...

M

MarkTheSpark

Glad some of you enjoyed it. I'll perhaps dip into my angling library again when I'm feeling nostalgic.

A, ED, you have Bill Goddard's eye for a picture!

E

Billy Goddard --- There's a name to conjure with ....what a character he was

He actually came up to that same lake with Nick Fletcher to do a feature with Roger and I ..... for the 'In The Swim with....' series, AT used to do in the 70s

That photo was taken on Grahams camera (a Bronica I think-the one you could get spare backs for)--Graham used to do all his own printing and developing

M

MarkTheSpark

Billy disappeared for a long while, then I was passed an email from a male nurse at the county hospital in Dorset to say he was ill with a series of strokes but remembered his time at AT fondly. I wrote back but, sad to relate, I never got a reply. That was a few years ago. I suspect he's no longer with us.

Bill was a one off (thankfully, for womankind) but working with him was more fun than working with most of the anodyne zombies and forelock-tuggers I've worked with since. I could write a feature about him that would astonish most people. He was badly-behaved, anarchic, sometimes lazy, but he could sniff out a matchwinner at half a mile, and could even make every one of the Barnsley Blacks smile in unison for a picture. He's among the old mates I miss the most.

They were great days, ED

E

It certainly wouldn't astonish me Mark....

We did another feature thing with him one time and we all went for lunch in the local pub Bill, Roger, andit was either Nick Fletcher or Chris Dawn, and myself .... We ended up having to carry Bill from the pub and down the field -- supposedly to do the pictures for the feature ....

They certainly were great days ........... and unfortunately, we'll never get them back ....

M

MarkTheSpark

During the Div 1 National on the Bristol Avon, he opened his hatchback at the draw, 7am in the Frys Factory at Keynsham, and played back - at enormous volume - the sound of himself making love to his girlfriend.

My favourite tale of Bill's misdemeanours was on the Danish ferry when he brought down to the dinner dance an empty camera with a flash attached. He instructed on the lads to keep an eye on him, and if he managed to get a woman to dance with him, to nip over and pretend to take some pictures.

So the lad did as he was told. Turned out, Bill was trying to give the impression to this Danish woman that he was very famous in England.

Truth to tell, he singled out very shallow women, because the ruse worked like a charm...