Shimano stradic STCI4

mikench

Reaction score
We are Sam! The former has the rear drag( and fighting drag) whereas the latter is front drag! I had comnsidered the white Stradic with rear drag but Santa is going to buy so I thought the new model should be better!!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We are Sam! The former has the rear drag( and fighting drag) whereas the latter is front drag! I had comnsidered the white Stradic with rear drag but Santa is going to buy so I thought the new model should be better!!:)

The white stradic would suite your styles of angling best Mike.
I think the other reels are designed with lure anglers in mind.
Personally I wouldn't buy a reel with no anti reverse switch, I use the anti reverse far too much to be without one.

sam vimes

Reaction score

They aren't new models as such, just different models. Last time I checked there were at least four different current "Stradic" reels.

What was it that you actually wanted to know?

sam vimes

Reaction score
The white stradic would suite your styles of angling best Mike.
I think the other reels are designed with lure anglers in mind.
Personally I wouldn't buy a reel with no anti reverse switch, I use the anti reverse far too much to be without one.

The Stradic Ci4+ RA has an anti-reverse switch. It's lighter than the Stradic GTM RC and has a wider diameter spool. It's effectively the GTM RC with a bunch of improvements.

It's the Stradic Ci4+ FB that doesn't have the anti-reverse switch.

mikench

Reaction score
Whether the front drag was better than the rear with fighting drag or vice versa!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whether the front drag was better than the rear with fighting drag or vice versa!

My experience is that front drags are invariably better than a rear drag on a reel at a similar price point. The greater surface area of the washers in a front drag reel tends to see to that.

However, anyone thinking of buying the Stradic Ci4+ FB must be advised that it has no facility to backwind. There is no anti-reverse switch on the reel at all. Some folks just can't countenance that prospect. I bought one to see if I could. Turns out that I could manage perfectly well and I rate the reel, and especially the drag, very highly.

In my opinion, the Stradic Ci4+ RA is going to be a more acceptable reel to the majority of coarse anglers.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Everyone has their own opinions on drags Mike. Personally, for normal float or feeder fishing I prefer a rear drag and I've always been a big fan of the fighting drag on the stradics.
I have stradic FJ's with front drag and they are decent drags but I struggle to see how the front drag is any smoother than the rear drags....in fact the only difference I can find is that the rear drag is easier/more comfortable "for me" to operate.
I reckon todays reels are pretty much as good as one another in either front or rear drag, it's just down to the individuals preference.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Ian! I do fancy trying the fighting drag so may suggest this! For some reason it's more expensive than the FB!:confused: