Sods Law.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Just when you think you're on a roll that venerable old gentleman ''sod'' chucks a spanner in the works.
Having discovered the whereabouts of some large Pike, and putting a few on the bank we were optimistic of a few red letter days. But a recent telephone call to the Tenant farmer put the lid on any immediate plans, which incidently was for tomorrow. Others must be in the same boat I know.
The trouble is in the areas we have been fishing,(remote from access) are much more difficult, at least for me. And were it not for the kindness of the said tenant farmer to reach that section of water would be a nightmare. So once again we are as always at the mercy of the weather.
There must be many of you in the same boat fishing for a variety of species who are also straining at the leash. It looks like a few more days sorting through tackle. It becomes tedious biting the bullet doesn't it. Grumpy Gibson!

flightliner

Reaction score
It is frustrating Derek, I have'nt wet a line for three weeks now on account of replacing our kitchen. Lots still to do however as old uncle sod butted in with some more unforseen work thats slowed me down to a crawl but a big push on it yesterday cleared my way to carry on with the original project.
That said however a text from a friend late last night will see me on a local river venue from noon today unless the old sod has other unexpected events for me to clear away.
After that I cant see myself fishing until early in the new year .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
As I look back at some old photos including some of princely chub from the Old Father Thames that look stunning with a backdrop of a foot or more of snow.

It's Sods law that old age and the possibility of hyphophermia keep me in, burning £40 a day of butane gas.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
As I look back at some old photos including some of princely chub from the Old Father Thames that look stunning with a backdrop of a foot or more of snow.

It's Sods law that old age and the possibility of hyphophermia keep me in, burning £40 a day of butane gas.

Graham,
It's not the snow or the temperature that prevents me from going, it's access to the water providing it doesn't have a lid on. But given the steepness of the flood bank it may be a bridge too far, taking into account my limited mobility an outdoor bath would not be desirable. Damn it!
But I'm awaiting with great anticipation the phone call from the farmer with high hopes.

john step

Reaction score
I put of my trip today due to that white stuff. Old uncle Sod has been playing games.
The Lincoln Council has been ridiculed nationally for closing the Christmas Market when the forecast was for snow which did not appear.

Now the forecasters have been invoking thee wrath of Uncle Sod again. This time for a completely dry and sunny day.

Sunny day it is but there is a healthy covering of white stuff.

Its not that snow would put me off but I know the tiny back roads along the dykes will not have been salted and I must say I DO MISS MY 4X4:eek:
I dont want to take my car for a swim.

Tomorrow hopefully will be OK to visit some pike on the river.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sod's Law is an abridged version of Finagle's Law (of dynamic negatives) which is very similar but continues . . . "at the worst possible time"

Reaction score
Haven't been out since mid-October on my holiday,back and knee problems have put paid to that,now the weather is stopping me,or the fear of slipping and doing my ligament again,sod that....

thecrow

Reaction score
I dont want to take my car for a swim

I saw a chap in a 4x4 almost do that while attempting a 3 point turn on the high bank part of Winthorpe lake in the dark, it slid down towards the water and stopped just short, a local farmer pulled him up the bank the next day for a small charge :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The sods law for me these days is waiting for suitably timed tides to fit in with my work etc. So I wait while looking at perfect conditions out of the window for days, bit of wind but not gale, the sea with a good swell on it but not too heavy, a good bit of colour and a bit of overcast helps; generally these are good conditions this time of year for whiting, flatties etc..
Come the day of appropriate timed tides that allow me to fish, guaranteed the wind will drop, the sea will flatten, the color will drop out and bright sun will appear.
Its the same in the summer when the reverse conditions are best for mackerel, bass ,gar where I like to float or lure fish where a clear flat sea is beat, it will be like that for days until I get the tides I want and the wind will get up, the sea will colour up and become rough; guarantee it. If I ever get hold of Sod.... I will shove his law up his proverbial....
Its not so bad in the summer where I can adjust and I can enjoy a day in the warm sun in my shirtsleeves come what may but this time of year I need the incentive that I actually have a good chance of a fish or two before I start layering myself in insulation..

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Hooray,
I've just received the phone call I've been waiting for, ''The flood bank is negotiable with care''.
Off down the motorway in the next fifteen minutes with the customary bottle of ''Famous Grouse'' for the farmer as a thankyou.
This is one of the beauties of lure fishing, because of the lack of tackle a decision to go is almost instant, and sessions are brief no more than two to three hours.

mikench

Reaction score
I hope you have a successful day Derek and in the words of Captain Mainwaring " don't tell 'em pike" when asked what you are after!