Mending Boots

nottskev

Reaction score
Another post from the currently non-angling angler.

A few years ago, I bought, used once and put away a pair of Skeetex boots - the ones with the fancy "Astrofoil" (!) inner boots. They got a good write up at the time.
I dug them out today, and was dismayed to find there is a split/crack in the rubber where it is joined to the instep. They haven't withstood the rigours of life in a cupboard very well.

What would you suggest to seal/cover the split and hopefully prevent it spreading?

boots.jpg

B

binka

I've used the Aquasure which Chris linked to and it's ok, certainly if the crack is on a crease and the repair needs to be flexible.

Just make sure the area is prepared properly and it should do a good job.

I've also used superglue on a small puncture which I put in a pair of very frequently worn wellies a year or two ago and that did a good enough job which is still holding well today.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks, both, I'll try that. I seem to remember they were warm and comfortable when I used them, if a bit of a faff to get on and off, with the inners and laces.

I dug them out thinking they'd be like new and could go on eBay, but I'm happy enough to hang on to them.

dave m

Reaction score
yeh, aquasure, stormsure or seamgrip. i have used both and cant tell the difference and both made by mcnett.

you can get the seamgrip in a few 7g tiny tubes and one will be more than enough for your small repair.

the reason the smaller tubes are better as once opened to the air the sealant starts to cure and even if you put the lid on very carefully it will still harden off.
you can slightly prolong the usability of opened tubes by squeezing a blob to the end to prevent any air being left in the tube when you screw the lid back on and storing in the freezer but it will still harden over time.

very wasteful when using the big tubes unless you have a big job to do.

Stormsure Clear Flexible Repair Adhesive Tube - Transparent, 3 x 5 grams: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for that! I only need a tiny amount, and it looked like one of those occasions when you buy the tin/tube, use a smidge, stick it in a drawer with all the other barely used special adhesives etc and throw it out unused a few years later when it has gone off. So, useful to know.

steve2

Reaction score
It could be a sign of the rubber perishing. I had a similar pair of boots, different make, that I hadn’t worn from some time and found that they just started to full apart when I wore them.

nottskev

Reaction score
Could be, but they've been stored indoors and the only blemish on them is the short split you can see in the pic I posted. I think if I can arrest the split, they'll be fine.

dave m

Reaction score
It could be a sign of the rubber perishing. I had a similar pair of boots, different make, that I hadn’t worn from some time and found that they just started to full apart when I wore them.
id agree, many of this type of boot has cheap rubber sole and upper where it joins the material.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Any signs of perishing, dry rot or further structural failure, I'll post it on here :)

B

binka

If anyone's a bit pushed for time and doesn't want to faff around waiting for wet feet whilst leaks slowly develop there is a more direct route.

I can thoroughly recommend TFG's range of footwear which are, if my pair of boots were anything to go by, guaranteed to soak your feet with nothing more than a light dew on long grass.

They had my trousers down over that one and I hope they enjoyed it as it was the first thing of that brand which I had ever bought, I haven't touched anything of theirs since and I won't do in the future either no matter how (and unlikely imo!) good it is.

TFG are on the banned list.

Reaction score
If anyone's a bit pushed for time and doesn't want to faff around waiting for wet feet whilst leaks slowly develop there is a more direct route.

I can thoroughly recommend TFG's range of footwear which are, if my pair of boots were anything to go by, guaranteed to soak your feet with nothing more than a light dew on long grass.

They had my trousers down over that one and I hope they enjoyed it as it was the first thing of that brand which I had ever bought, I haven't touched anything of theirs since and I won't do in the future either no matter how (and unlikely imo!) good it is.

TFG are on the banned list.

I have purchased a new pair of British army goretex leather boots,I paid around eighty quid post free,this was on the advice of a friend who has had a pair for years,haven't tried them yet,but they look the bees. But one thing is for sure TFG waterproof(not) footwear is sh!the as Steve says.

Last edited:
B

binka

In recognition of TFG's contribution, and as a realistic reflection of the quality of their 'fit for purpose' footwear range, a commemorative statue has been erected outside of their headquarters...

35b71a1.jpg

;) :D