The driver often...

laguna

Reaction score
Decides where everyone fishes!

I drive myself and meet up, but I knock around with a few fishy pals who don't and they always seem to take instructions from those who do, is this right?

Needless to say I sometimes object if I fancy somewhere else but everyone else willingly seems to fall in line?

Example this week I fancied the local cut for a few hours piking, but apparently my mates have decided (or should I say the driver) are fishing the club lake because we have a new porta-bog installed and they want to go christen it!!! :eek:mg:

Do you fall in line if getting a lift?

rayner

Reaction score
No I don't fall in line with anyone, I used to but now I always fish alone. Just the way I like it.
Fishing with others forces me to try to accommodate them with what they want, spoiling my fishing.
When I fish alone I please myself, come and go as I please.
I'm not allowed to drive now so my wife does all the driving, I feel uncomfortable having someone else drive. Just as well that I like my own company.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Me neither.

I go fishing to be alone. The thought of being dictated to by someone else's driving desires would lead me to stay at home and watch Midsomer Murders.

Reaction score
I fish where I want,but if someone wanted to travel in my car to fish,I think I should have more clout in the choice of venue,or they should travel with someone else and I will go on my lonesome.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I've been fishing with friends we've always decided between us what venue where going to regardless of who's motor we where going.

smudger172

Reaction score
The only time i fish with others is pike fishing. The venue is already picked and the driver has pick of swim.

Keith M

Reaction score
I usually much prefer to fish on my own but if I am going to be sharing a car with a friend then the venue and the species that we will be fishing for will be agreed between us at least one or more days beforehand.

We will usually take turns on who chooses his swim first on the day.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I fish alone. I can change my mind of venue and importantly the start time without reference to anyone at short notice.

steve2

Reaction score
90% of the time I fish alone if fishing with friends we always meet at the venue. The only time we car shared was when match fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
When I go on my own, I go on my own and do exactly as I please. But if I'm going with a friend we work out beforehand where we fancy going and the details of the day. It's likely, over time, that I'll suggest a and b, he'll suggest x and y, and we go with each other's suggestions. I like fishing alone, and with company. For me, having it all my own way wouldn't compensate for having no fishing mates. I've found that I learn more and end up with more variety this way. Two unspoken rules that help seem to be: if you go with the other person's choice, don't complain about it when you're there; if you really don't fancy it, say so and suggest that's one for their solo trips.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I go with a friend, but.. we go in our own cars, ( take to much stuff for one vehicle, ) but we are going to start cutting down on what we take, we decide on a venue each and do alternate venues , some may be club waters others may be a commercial,

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I go with a friend, but.. we go in our own cars, ( take to much stuff for one vehicle, ) but we are going to start cutting down on what we take, we decide on a venue each and do alternate venues , some may be club waters others may be a commercial,

I'm much the same. Me and the BF tend to fish together and very rarely disagree on venue but will happily go alone if one or other of us isn't free. Two cars is a must unfortunately as there is just too much gear for one on almost every occasion. For the life of me I cannot fathom how I used to get that great lump plus all our gear in an 850cc mini. We did....but goodness knows how.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The last few years I fish alone, used to go with 4 friends in a car with all our gear, grub, brollies, seats for all day sessions on commercials, Markcw and Skippy take note, lighten up:)
However all my fishing buddies either gave up, moved away or died, the length people go to get away from me has always surprised me but then on reflection......

I never minded fishing alone or with friends, just two different slants on how you enjoy the day to me..

Last edited: