A really interesting video

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am not a sea angler but do follow TA Fishing's videos most weeks. The sea fishing ones are not really of any great interest to me and I tend to skip them or at best 'skip' though them.

Yesterday's video was different. It starts in a tackle shop and ends in the kitchen! It was probably the best, most entertaining and informative video I have seen to date. It is about squid fishing with rod and line. Not only did it go through all the gear and tackle you would need (most of which I, and most of us, already have) it showed how to catch them, how to 'deal' with them and went on to show cleaning and cooking them. forty-five minutes of solid information with no mucking about. Even the missus stopped what she was doing and watched it through.

You can find the video HERE.

Ralph.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I really enjoyed that Ralph! Thanks for sharing. I love squid and often cook it in tempura batter in strips with strips of courgette, and red pepper! Serve it with an aioli sauce or mayo! I will now try it in a curry! I also have some mangy out ( mange-tout ) in the fridge.:)

I like the presenter and have watched a few of his videos!a

It's carrot not pepper and you use a potatoe peeler to shave thin strips of the courgette and carrot and dip both and the squid in very thin batter and deep fry for 60 to 90 seconds. Arrange in a bowl and the colours go well together and it tastes delicious! I copied this from my favourite restaurant in Nice ( Le Safari) who serve it in edible thin pastry bowls!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Funnily enough I've just returned from a walk along the beach in Whitstable and three guys were just setting up on the beach for some fishing, I wanted to stay a while and watch but the chill coming off the sea was too much for me, needed to keep on the move!

A great watch, thanks for sharing Ralph, I would have trouble killing them, never really appreciated what fascinating and beautiful creatures they are.

I've got all the gear minus a few lures, I wonder if they inhabit the coast in my neck of the woods? Never seen them brought in by the fishing boats coming into the harbour. A bit of rock fishing at Reculver next year Ralph?

The "No Feathering" sign intrigues me, what's that all about?

Neil doesn't fish that far away occasionally, I wonder if he's had a squid?

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Funnily enough I've just returned from a walk along the beach in Whitstable and three guys were just setting up on the beach for some fishing, I wanted to stay a while and watch but the chill coming off the sea was too much for me, needed to keep on the move!

A great watch, thanks for sharing Ralph, I would have trouble killing them, never really appreciated what fascinating and beautiful creatures they are.

I've got all the gear minus a few lures, I wonder if they inhabit the coast in my neck of the woods? Never seen them brought in by the fishing boats coming into the harbour. A bit of rock fishing at Reculver next year Ralph?

The "No Feathering" sign intrigues me, what's that all about?

Neil doesn't fish that far away occasionally, I wonder if he's had a squid?

I get where you are coming from about killing them, but they are food, and somebody has to kill them. As I like eating calamari, I should be prepared to 'deal' with them... But I am not keen :(

I also wondered what that No Feathering" sign meant.

LRF at Reculver sounds good to me! It just occurred to me, can you fish in the harbour in Whitstable?

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It just occurred to me, can you fish in the harbour in Whitstable?

Ralph.

Never seen anyone fish the harbour, there are no signs to say you can't. Plenty of kids go crabbing on the breakwaters and one or two anglers as I saw today do a bit of beach fishing.

Fishing further along the coast line at Hampton pier and then further again at Reculver seems popular with the sea anglers.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I had forgotten about Hampton Pier. That might be a good place to have a dangle - They dumped a lot of huge rocks there about 20 years ago to strengthen the sea defences - might hold a few small fish. You know what, we need to pay a visit to the tackle shop in Herne Bay High Street. I am sure he will know what is what on the local sea fishing scene. Never really though about it before.

Anyone here know anything about North Kent beach/rock/harbour fishing?

Ralph.

Philip

Reaction score
Yes Mike.

Very good & interesting video, I know it wont be everyones point of view but to me thats not fishing. For some reason squid fishing does not sit too well with me.

No problem gobbling up squid however, love it which probably makes my sentiment even more strange but there you go.

richiec

Reaction score
Agreed, great video. I'd never even considered fishing for squid. Very informative and well put together, still not sure if I could eat it though.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Agreed, great video. I'd never even considered fishing for squid. Very informative and well put together, still not sure if I could eat it though.

It is funny; I think sea anglers have a different mindset to coarse anglers. Although it is all fishing, sea fishing seems to be as much about catching fish to eat or for using as bait to catch bigger fish to eat, as much as it is about the sport.

Me, I get a bit squeamish about chopping up worms, but I think I could despatch fish, so long as they are to eat.

Ralph.