Winter Fishing Tips

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of waggler fishing lately and also some pike fishing (lures and wobbled deads) and have had no success for the past few weeks! Yesterday, I understand the canal was 99% frozen over but a couple of match fishermen managed to pull out some fish, I didn't have a single bite. I tried changing the depth, different maggot combinations as well as singles, doubles etc.

I haven't had a pike in a few weeks either, I've been wobbling smelt and sprats, ledgered them, too, not a single take. I know it's getting cold and they may be lazy but I've been targeting pockets which seem like ideal locations for pike.

Any tips and pointers are appreciated as usual! I just don't want to be a fair weather fisherman and miss out on months of fishing!

JackGE

Reaction score
Hi Crow,

Yeah, I've tried that, around canal boats mainly. There were no features in the thawed water yesterday unfortunately. I did have one big perch follow my Ondex, that was the only action.

I try to fish around reeds and overhanging trees mostly but it was completely frozen!

thecrow

Reaction score
Might just have to wait for a thaw and some milder weather, lots of snow melt from fields will have gone into the canal which will have an effect on the fishing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They don't always want a meaty bait in this weather. A slurp of bread might work. mash up very small handfuls and chuck one or two in which might just be enough to get a few roach interested and try a tiny of bit of crust on a 14 or 16 hook static on the bottom. Might just pick up a decent roach or two.
Not much of a pike angler myself but would just a dead bait work better left on the bottom where they don't have to do much work given they might be a bit torpid?

I was watching my mates goldfish yesterday (70 odd fish in a 6ft by 12ft by 6ft deep pond) just laying on the bottom occasionally swimming about a bit. I asked him if he is still feeding them to which he said just a tiny bit now and then which they don't go mad but they will take one or two morsels. In the summer he chucks in 3 or 4 handfuls every day. Thats the thing I think, nothings going to come on the feed as such - just give them a morsel or two and a bit of extra just to get them interested. Do they find it harder to digest food in this weather? Would they go more for a tiny bit of bread than a maggot?

I have never tried it but roach like aniseed apparently, would a little drop of this on your hook bread flake or crust or groundbait make a bit of difference in this weather?

Ps just re read yor post, see you have tried legering dead bait.
Good luck-keep trying.

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
since you don't specifically mention it, it's worth scaling the terminal bit right down to as fine as you can get away with (without being silly about it) this will get you more bites.

JackGE

Reaction score
Crow, maybe it is the weather but I keep on wondering if I'm just not that great at fishing :D.

Mark, thanks for the input! The guys that were pole fishing were using single maggots and they seemed to do okay. Maybe I was overbaiting the area? As for the goldfish, they do become more lethargic in the cold which is to be expected. The aniseed oil sounds interesting, I've kind of kept away from all these scentals and flavours as I thought they were just an expensive marketing technique.

As for the pike, I did ledger a smelt whilst I float fishing and didn't have a single twitch. I do think it was a bit cold yesterday, though!

I think I need to use a smaller hook also, I used the smallest I had. I might try my 4lb maxima line without a split shot on the end tomorrow.

Reaction score
Jack,if fish are not under boats,trees etc then they are often down the track,breadpunch or chopped worm are killing methods in cold water on canals,one thing,go and sit and have a chat with the match guys,show interest in their fishing,give them some bull if necessary, most guys would be happy to give you a tip,it may not be the total answer,it may be a conglomeration of errors,canal fishing can be exceptionally difficult in the winter and stretches can seem empty of fish, I've fished many winter league matches on the cut and haven't had a bite until 10 minutes to the end,then caught 12 roach, its just winter fishing I'm afraid,hope you pick up some tips,maybe a look on google for a bread punch video would help...

Another Dave

Reaction score
This is also true as they metabolise more slowly out of their optimum temperature ranges.

Yeah. Although there obviously are fish that thrive at very low temperatures, but like you say it's all about what that species' optimum is.

Molehill

Reaction score
In winter conditions fish can turn on to feed for specific, short periods of time. If you are experienced angler and have the local knowledge you know how and when to fish for the bites. It may be an hour around the warmest part of the day or an hour at dusk.

Either watch, learn and pick successful anglers brains, or trial, error and perseverance. It will come in time, but winter in these changeable weather conditions are bound to be tough.

keora

Reaction score
Fish activity declines as the water gets colder. Unlike mammals, they don't have to keep their body temperature at a fixed temperature. The body temperature of fish is the same as the water they are in. When it gets colder, they eat less as their metabolism slows down.

When the water temperature falls below about 4 degrees C, it can be difficult to catch fish. The species less affected by cold are pike, grayling, chub and perch.

You could wait until the weather changes and it gets warmer. By this Wednesday (20th Dec) the air temperature is forecast to rise about 6 degrees, and I'm delaying a pike fishing trip until then. I've found that I occasionally catch pike when the water temperature is below 4 degrees, although not many.

You could visit a well stocked commercial still water fishery where you are more likely to get bites than in a river. I fished one a couple of weeks ago, and although the water temperature was only 3 degrees, I had plenty of roach.

Reaction score
Having a temperature log that's fine,it might put you off from going out,match anglers are stuck with,so make the best of any conditions,I can remember a match on the GUC where a dozen anglers broke the ice in a prolonged cold snap,8lbs won it,the lowest weight was 2lbs odd,now this is exceptional I know,but fish eat nearly every day and if you fish with the right baits and gear you stand a fair chance of success.

JackGE

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information! Like I said o don't want to pack up for the winter so trying to learn as much as possible to have a successful winter. I have took the day off today to go and try out a new stretch, I just hope it isn't as frozen as the other two I've tried... Or my car!