Closing a bale arm

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I read recently that to close a bale arm by cranking the handle doesn't do it any good and the bale arm should always be closed by hand. Have to admit I've never given this consideration and more often than not use the handle to close it.

Am I committing a cardinal sin or do others do the same?

Philip

Reaction score
I clank mine over by turning the handle like there is no tomorrow. If it was a cardinal sin then I would have been put away years ago :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends on the reel design and/or component quality as to how much of an issue it might be. Some designs, coupled with cheap components, don't last very long. However, they should be repairable in a reasonable design when the designer anticipated wear.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's no sin, but I can't remember the last time I closed the bail arm by winding the handle. It must have been when I was using a Mitchell Match reel, where you had no choice. That would make it around 1990.

I find that when trotting it's easier to keep all the line tight and controlled if you fold the bail arm over so it picks the line up from where your finger has trapped it. Winding it shut always seemed a bit less controlled and you don't flip the bail arm onto your line-trapping finger when you fold it shut manually.

And in general, with anything mechanical, I prefer a silent operation to one that clatters and bangs - it's telling you that things are not being shocked against each other, reducing wear and tear.

carpinbob

Reaction score
Always used to close manually when I first started out many years ago, but now I just crank the handle without even thinking about it.

morston1

Reaction score
I still have an old Mitchell match which is in good working order.

The fact you could not close the bale arm by hand was one of it’s only drawbacks, especially when trotting on the Trent....it was pretty easy to lose a fish when trying to engage the bail arm by turning the handle.

As an aside, I believe The late Jan Porter used to use his Mitchell like a centre pin by removing the grease and using fine oil so that it would run with the bale arm engaged

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
You can close a Mitchell Match by hand though I only do it if I hook a fast running fish; just close the bale with your fingers then flick the cantilever over with your thumb.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I often found the cheap reels which I grew up with often did not close properly so you had to do it by hand anyway just to make sure. I think the clunk mechanism must wear over time and this happens; I still like to make sure.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Most of my reels are cheap models and require a good hard 'crunch' to close the bail arm from the winder. My better reels close with a nice light click.

As I started out with cheap reels, and still use them, I tend to close the bail arm by hand as I am always fearful of breaking something.

Ralph.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
You mean all bail arms don't close by whacking themselves on the reel stem, like my old Intrepid Envoy???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I nearly always use the handle to close the bail arm....that's a one of the major parts of it's function!

laguna

Reaction score
Some models do some don't. But if they do I prefer to turn the handle - unless its a proper noisy 'clunk' then I close it by hand to avoid potential damage over time.
You might be forgiven in thinking this has to do with quality, but not necessary so. Some very good quality expensive reels and brands suffer from this, to what should be, the standard requirement.

tonya

Reaction score
On my beachcasters, I used to cut the bale arm off to prevent it snapping over on big casts. I also used to screw the clutch down tight to stop line lipping and cutting my finger.
To wind , simply hook the line over the bale roller.

Reaction score
Since the days of crank only bail arms,I've only ever shut them by hand,if only for being ensured shut every time perfectly,no spring jump,in fact the only feature the daiwa 1657m that bettered the 'match' was its manual closing bail.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I still use my Daiwa 1657dm, its not the lightest of reels, but has never let me down, I have always turned the handle on my other reels to close the bail arm,
Not doing a lot of river fishing I have never given it another thought, closing it with the handle is something I have done for over 50 years of fishing,