Iguanas - a long shot

Philip

Reaction score
Yes you did read that right :) ...It’s a long shot but has anyone has ever used these …

philip-albums-misc-picture4962-iguana.jpg

philip-albums-misc-picture4963-iguana2.jpg

....A shop near me appears to have got in a job lot. A casual look at the ingredients grabbed by attention as a potential groundbait However the tubs are sealed. So I took the plunge brought 6 of them and took them back to the car. Opening one of them it smelt basically like goldfish food. The sink test showed about half sunk half floated.

Now the good bit. It appears to sell on the web for about 15 quid a tub….the shop is selling it off for 30p a tub !!!!

The question is do I go back tomorrow and clear them out of their entire stock ?:):D

Last edited:

Reaction score
And sell it for £14,without doubt...

Philip

Reaction score
now now ...I was intending to use it as fish food although the alternative is rather appealing !

But seriously, it smells spot on. Stuffed into a feeder with some groundbait for example, the floating bits helping it to explode out.

john step

Reaction score
Yes you did read that right :) ...It’s a long shot but has anyone has ever used these …

The question is do I go back tomorrow and clear them out of their entire stock ?:):D

Yes do it:D

Reminds me when Tesco wrongly priced a cleaning product. Instead of £1plus it was 14 pence. I accidentally bought a basket full.:wh

laguna

Reaction score
How big are they?
Could they for example be used as a hook bait, banded/hooked directly? If half float they could be used as an active mix for a feeder. Some quality ingredients in there, none that I can see would put bream off though.

Please let me know if you ever come across such a repellent, I will give you £1M for it.

Philip

Reaction score
About half a cm long but very thin. They are slightly soft & may just about get on a hook but would probably need to be banded. However i was also thinking about them more as a background feed. As you say an active feeder groundbait was my initial thought too.

Best Bream repellant I know is a Wels Catfish. Let one of those swim around you swim and not only will it repel Bream it will eat them. :D

Reaction score
Yuk,they are worse than bream,a lot worse...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hummm whether or not they would workas a bait who knows but boy what a list of ingredients takes half an hour to read thru it poor old iguanas being fed a diet like that .

PG ...

benny samways

Reaction score
I just did a quick google search on some of those igredients, eesh.

Cupric sulfate turned this up:

The U.S. EPA considers copper to be practically nontoxic to bees and moderately toxic to birds. Studies with several aquatic species have found copper to be highly to very highly toxic to fish and aquatic life. Trout, koi and juvenile fish of several species are known to be particularly sensitive to copper.

Fish kills have been reported after copper sulfate applications for algae control in ponds and lakes. Oxygen depletion and increased debris have been cited as the cause of most fish deaths. This is sometimes due to the sudden death and decay of algae and plants after an application. Even small concentrations of copper can be harmful to fish and water organisms. Always follow label instructions to protect the environment.

Sod knows why they put it in iguana feed it may only be in there in tiny amounts but I wouldnt knowingly want to chuck cupric sulphate in an environment with fish in.

Philip

Reaction score
I just did a quick google search on some of those igredients, eesh.

Cupric sulfate turned this up:

The U.S. EPA considers copper to be practically nontoxic to bees and moderately toxic to birds. Studies with several aquatic species have found copper to be highly to very highly toxic to fish and aquatic life. Trout, koi and juvenile fish of several species are known to be particularly sensitive to copper.

Fish kills have been reported after copper sulfate applications for algae control in ponds and lakes. Oxygen depletion and increased debris have been cited as the cause of most fish deaths. This is sometimes due to the sudden death and decay of algae and plants after an application. Even small concentrations of copper can be harmful to fish and water organisms. Always follow label instructions to protect the environment.

Sod knows why they put it in iguana feed it may only be in there in tiny amounts but I wouldnt knowingly want to chuck cupric sulphate in an environment with fish in.

I imagine its a tiny amount...plus its also found in this....

philip-albums-misc-picture4964-52850011-0-640x640.jpg

Another Dave

Reaction score
It's also the food you buy for ornamental aquarium shrimp. Aquatic inverts are more sensitive than fish to copper but like all organisms, they need a tiny amount in their diet.

I reckon this would make a great groundbait additive but would be worried it might prove a bit filling, depending on the venue etc

laguna

Reaction score
Trace amounts of copper, and a whole bunch of other minerals are essential to life.
Manufacturers don't always need to add it though, as its naturally found in most food stuffs and the environment.

OT.. Lead oxide, now that's something someone could easily get upset about... definitely not essential to life - except (PbO) doesn't form under water. I reckon there's a lot washed off each put in due to reuse, but more than a trace? Probably an untraceable amount.