How to keep cheese paste

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve been reading old posts on cheese paste, & I’m wondering how people store it . Generally freezing seems most popular but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that it can just be left to stew and ripen in the shed or garage?

B

binka

I freeze mine.

It's not an original idea and something I gleaned from elsewhere but I roll it into smaller, flat sheets as it thaws out much quicker than a large ball.

I'm not sure but I would imagine that it would eventually dry out if left to its own devices in a shed or garage, especially once the summer arrives but it might be ok for a few months during the colder weather???

Reaction score
I always wrapped it in foil and left in the bag,after a while a skin formed round it,I used to cut a whole in it,then put the piece I'd cut back in to keep the rest soft,god it stunk...

john step

Reaction score
rich66;1446850 it can just be left to stew and ripen in the shed or garage?[/QUOTE said:
Lovely....just what the rats and mice would like to polish off and then start on your rod and tackle bags ??:eek::eek::eek::eek:

rich66

Reaction score
Lovely....just what the rats and mice would like to polish off and then start on your rod and tackle bags ??:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ohh please don’t even go there !! Most of my kit lives in the garage where my cats sleep, just my nets have to go in the shed.

B

binka

Most of my kit lives in the garage where my cats sleep

Oh if only!

I can't get into bed for my bloody lot...

2j0b4fd.jpg

Sorry, that has little to do with storing cheese paste, other than to say get plenty of cats if you're keeping it in the shed :D

It's like a feline bloody slumber party, witches have had less black cats than me! :D :D

laguna

Reaction score
It depends on how you make it and what you put in it.

My pulverised bread crumb/blue cheese paste for example keeps for about 3 months at room temperature. Longer in the fridge and longer frozen I imagine. Bread has a shorter shelf-life than cheese but the inclusion means I have a chance of a roach, chub or barbel plus it helps bind.

Think about how long it takes for cheese in a cellar to mature? The conditions need to be right. Putting a lump of cheese paste in a tub at room temperature for example will cause it to sweat and develop different competing moulds.

Oh ,and there's a reason why some are coated in wax :)

rich66

Reaction score
I was thinking of making it with flour, melted Stilton, & a pinch of salt. Bit like making pastry but cheese instead of butter.

Thanks for the info folks, I’ll experiment with it a bit and see what works, that’s if the cats or mice don’t scoff it

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Oh if only!

2j0b4fd.jpg

Sorry, that has little to do with storing cheese paste, other than to say get plenty of cats if you're keeping it in the shed :D

It's like a feline bloody slumber party, witches have had less black cats than me! :D :D

He HE HE join the club except i got 4 mind you would not be without them althou they de me ead in at times when they start playing UP! ...

PG ...

rayner

Reaction score
It's not a bait I use now but it interested me reading the ideas used.
I always kept my cheese paste in the airing cupboard in an air tight plastic tub. The later it got through the winter the better the paste got.
I don't know how I would manage now that we have no airing cupboard. Just as well I don't need stinky paste now.

mikench

Reaction score
Oh if only!

2j0b4fd.jpg

A perfectly made bed, precision positioning of cushions, ambient lighting; its ideal home material! You'll make some young lady a wonderful hubby Steve! :rolleyes: I bet your fairways are a sight to behold!:rolleyes:

dicky123

Reaction score
You don’t try to keep it. Make it up and put it in the cold fridge, it will last a year or so, and keeps getting better as the mound grows. I make mine in the closed season, enough to last the full year. Carp, barbel and Chub love the stuff, had a big roach on it too some years ago.

Rich.

designinsidepk

Reaction score
Oh if only!

2j0b4fd.jpg

Can You Freeze Cheese?
Make yourself comfortable in a single position and you will sleep every time with it easily

Keith M

Reaction score
When we used to travel down to the river Kennet after a watch in the Met office at HMS Warrior in Northwood back in the late 70s; whilst my mate was doing the driving my job was to sit and knead our bread & Cheese paste around a scored raw onion during the journey down, and the more onion juice I managed to impart into the paste the more effective it was.

This ball of paste was in and out of the freezer for years; and we’d add more paste to it whenever it was needed, and it caught us many decent sized Chub, Dace, Barbel and Roach; although we didn’t use it too often for the Barbel as we had other baits for them.

After being in and out of the freezer a few times this raw onion juice infused cheesepaste started to feel cold to the touch even on a baking hot day; and I assumed that it was the amino acids breaking down in it; however when it was like this it became even better.

The paste lasted us for several years and it just got better and better the more times it was frozen and defrosted

I haven’t used paste now for many years, but If I did then I would try to regenerate this cheesepaste infused with raw onion juice.

Keith