Cold feet.

yorkieman

Reaction score
What are you wearing to keep your feet warm these cold days ?

Normally I give the winter months a miss but last week with nothing to do I thought I'd have a section.
The only boots I have are Wellingtons and some Rigger type so chose the latter with some cheap thermal socks but these didn't keep my feet warm and spoilt my morning. Would prefer something like the length of rigger type so I can tuck in my trousers.

Thanks as usual for your time.

nottskev

Reaction score
A lot depends on the ratio of walking about to staying still. I'm more of a short walk/long sit angler, so welly-type boots suit me ok. I used to have those enormous moonboot things with the bulky insulation, which made even short walks a pain, and getting them off was a pantomime. Then some neoprene wellies that proved poor insulation. But for the past 3 years I've had a pair of Rovex boots. They are so light and non-bulky that I was inclined to think they wouldn't be as warm, but they've proved equally warm and much more comfortable. I'm quite happy to replace them with a fresh pair anytime, but they are wearing well, too. I fish two or three times a week through the winter, but I don't find it worth fishing with heavy frost or snow; they've proved fine for anything short of that. They're cheap enough, too, at under £40.

yorkieman

Reaction score
Yes I'm like you... short walk/long stay and wondering as I wrote the above post whether some top notch thermal socks would provide some better insulation.

Think the problem with the Rigger boot (although tough) is the sole which is conducting the cold ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes I'm like you... short walk/long stay and wondering as I wrote the above post whether some top notch thermal socks would provide some better insulation.

Think the problem with the Rigger boot (although tough) is the sole which is conducting the cold ?

I'm a bit of a cold-feet person myself. I've tried a few kinds of allegedly warm socks. Best I've found were some alpaca-mix socks by a company called Dahlgren that makes socks for various specific activities. I found them reduced in Tkmax.
Lately, I've had a few pairs of Bridgedale boot socks; a local Cotswold has had them at half-price - £7.50 -for months. These are really warm, too. I was a bit sceptical about the prices, but I found these dear socks were well worth it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had a pair of those moon boots years ago which actually did the job, feet were usually very warm and the linings were easily replaced but as Notts said a bit weird to wear and walk in. I don't do much winter fishing these days so some good boots with some good thermal socks are my thing. Getting a size bigger than you normally wear to accommodate one or even two pairs of thick socks is a thing to think about. I go for one ordinary pair of wool socks first then one or two good thermal types over them these days.
Ordinary wellies are not much good but did read once that after putting your socks on-putting plastic bags round your feet with elastic bands worked, supposed to make your feet sweat but never tried it.

john step

Reaction score
Like others here I have tried moon boot types. The Skeetex ones with the removable inners kept my feet very toasty but and its a bit but that on slippery frosty banks near water the grip is absolutely useless.
It would be too easy to end up in the drink.

For the last two winters I have used CHUB thermal carp type ankle boots.
They are very warm and seem to be lasting well.

Importantly for me they have excellent grip as well.

jasonbean1

Reaction score

mikench

Reaction score
I have a pair of muckboots and Preston Innovations boots both made of neoprene. The PI boots have the better grip but are not as warm. Both are toasty if on the move. I wear two pairs of thermal socks. one pair short and one long. My feet are cold however if i am just sat there for several hours in the cold and snow!

I usually go for a bit of a walk( rig out of the water) to warm them up. I have bought some of those disposal cloth hand warmers but for feet but not used them.

Personally grip on muddy and slippery banks is more important to me than warm feet!

smudger172

Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs. One pair for autum and spring and a pair of Sorel boots for when its really cold. They might be a bit expensive but mine are 20 years old and still going strong......

thecrow

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the electrically heated socks that run on a rechargeable battery? some have a battery life of up to 10 hours, could be switched on as needed extending battery life.

tonya

Reaction score
Thickness of sole is probably more important that fur lining.
I wear neoprene scuba socks or my arctic RAF issue ones.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Bootwise its Muckboots for me. Best Ive ever used.

Sockwise my boy has put me onto Feet Heaters which are £4 a pair from Primark. He's outdoors in all weathers and swears these are the best thermal socks hes ever had. I tried a pair and i have to agree...they are better than anything ive ever used and Ive tried all sorts over the years.

Definately worth a go.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I always thought Muckboots were overpriced, then I bought a pair at a sale price thanks to Neil Maidment putting me onto them. Having tried them quite a few times in sub zero temperatures I can honestly say they are well worth the money, I just wear normal socks and they have been great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

binka

Ever since I bought a pair of Le Chameau wellies, socks haven't been a consideration.

They keep my feet warm whatever socks I'm wearing and they're as comfortable as house slippers, I don't know if it's the natural rubber or the neoprene lining, or a combination of both.

I've spent daft money on merino wool socks in the past but only to find the heel worn through within a few weeks, the Le Chams are the best thing I've bought and that must be going back three years now and fishing in all extremes both summer and winter.

To be honest I would never have thought it.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have been using a pair of those Crane Waterproof Socks inside my cheapo wollie lined wellies and have no problem keeping my feet warm plus they have the added advantage that if your footware does spring a leak those socks DO work and very well at that .

I will quite regualary wear a pair of them inside a pair of very light weight Asda summer type shoes that are in no way waterproof but hell they are comfortable and light i can pubddle splash and retain warm dry feet ..

PG ...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Muklucks boots with thinsulate lining and a pair of "heatholder" socks, they have various Tog ratings, are available at most garden centres and I think Millets sell them, I believe Sundrige now do the Hotfoot boot, if these are as warm as the Hotfoot wellingtons that have removable liners you wont need thick socks, I used to wear hiking style socks with the wellington style.

ian g

Reaction score
Might sound a bit daft , I fish a lot in winter and use merino wool socks and neoprene wellies but I have found keeping your core warm is a big help . So a couple of merino wool base layers a decent coat and woolie hat are as important as good socks and boots .

flightliner

Reaction score
I,be been using Hunter neoprene lined wellies that I bought a year ago that have the "Vibram" soles.
Coupled with a pair of thick knee length socks from sports direct I've been out at night chubbing in them with the temperature down at -2 degrees and they have been really good, my feet were nice and warm -- no problem at all.
The guy I went with has some very cheap ex army boots that he's had re soled with "vibram" and he was as warm footed as I was on the two cold nights.