Batten down the hatches...

B

binka

The next storm is almost upon us and with the rivers already high I reckon they're going to be very out of order for some time after the next two or three days.

I'm undecided on what to do, I like floodwater fishing and I will be heading off straight from work this weekend and might just be tempted into trying to nobble a tourist chub out of a field.

Will you still be heading for the flow, looking for that inviting slack or will you change your habits and look for somewhere away from all the extra water?

mikench

Reaction score
I might just stay home! With my casting abilities Chub in adjacent fields might be just the ticket :rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score
I have been waiting for some milder weather to arrive so that I can get out but it looks as if I will have to wait a little while longer before that happens, the days of me being out in all weathers have long gone. :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's getting beyond a joke, no trotting since doing an hour on crimbo day!

Looking at the forecast round these parts it's gonn'a be next week before it'll be worth even thinking of getting out fishing and even then it might have to be legering for chub and barbel.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My local rivers have been drastically low and clear for most of last year, so it's a treat to see them up and coloured. I'm hoping to fish a stretch of the Colne a few miles downstream from my usual haunt tomorrow..

Philip

Reaction score
I quite enjoy fishing rivers when they are up and coloured. Those big slacks out of the flow look so inviting and the fish can be very grouped up if you pick right. With the water clarity down as well sometimes a good fish can slip up too to a nice smelly static bait.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I quite enjoy fishing rivers when they are up and coloured. Those big slacks out of the flow look so inviting and the fish can be very grouped up if you pick right. With the water clarity down as well sometimes a good fish can slip up too to a nice smelly static bait.

Sounds ok except for the 50 plus mile an hour winds and heavy rain....narrh, i'll give it a miss :eek:mg:.

mikench

Reaction score
The wind is really picking up now with pouring rain! Just off into the garden to try out my new brolly!:rolleyes:

B

binka

The wind's picked up noticeably around here too.

I'm due to be doing some forestry and felling work tomorrow, I reckon it might have been done for me by the time morning comes around :D

terry m

Reaction score
I don't mind cold, or even rain. But persistent strong winds are a pain in the proverbial. When it is impossible to consistently present a bait in a decent fashion, then I know it is time to go home and do something else!

flightliner

Reaction score
Back home now and can see things looking awry but going to go asap to the Trent as a normally fish thin bit of river I know can fish pretty well when it's up and running.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Last night was rather wild with very high winds and a lot of rain.

This morning the wind is just as strong but the rain has stopped and it is a pleasant 10°C but I am not even thinking about fishing for a few days.

Once you reach 60 or so it is tempting to not go out unless the temperature (in °F) is equal to or greater than one's age . . . . .

;)

bracket

Reaction score
Once you reach 60 or so it is tempting to not go out unless the temperature (in °F) is equal to or greater than one's age . . . . .

;)

Sorry PJ I can't subscribe to that theory. If I did the few times I would go I'd get BBQ'd. Pete.

mikench

Reaction score
It's windier here today than it was on Tuesday and wet and horrible! I have just come back from visiting parents in Lytham where the surrounding fields are like lakes and , one particular road with a very poor and undulating surface was more akin to a river! Thelwall Bridge on the M6 was about to be closed to high sided vehicles !

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's windier here today than it was on Tuesday and wet and horrible! I have just come back from visiting parents in Lytham where the surrounding fields are like lakes and , one particular road with a very poor and undulating surface was more akin to a river! Thelwall Bridge on the M6 was about to be closed to high sided vehicles !

It's blowing a seriously strong wind right now, infact it's that strong I keep whincing incase the partio doors blown in :eek:

mikench

Reaction score
I am sure you will be fine Ian! Its odd though that storm Eleanor felt benign by comparison! Take care!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am sure you will be fine Ian! Its odd though that storm Eleanor felt benign by comparison! Take care!:)

The wind has been like this several times recently. It was howling with powerfull gusts all through the night a day or two ago.
The good thing is the weather forecast shows improvement over the next day and although it's cold next week it appears to be dry and without the howling winds.....fingers crossed some dangling can be done :).

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
Meanwhile down under ...forecast is for 38c degrees /100 f tomorrow with 30km plus winds. Total fire ban for the state will push well over 40c further north in the state. Cool change in the evening dropping it down and it should be 25c on Sunday. Hopefully we don't have bushfires this time around.

Some idiot agreed to play bowls all weekend i am going to melt tomorrow....

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Meanwhile down under ...forecast is for 38c degrees /100 f tomorrow with 30km plus winds. Total fire ban for the state will push well over 40c further north in the state. Cool change in the evening dropping it down and it should be 25c on Sunday. Hopefully we don't have bushfires this time around.

Some idiot agreed to play bowls all weekend i am going to melt tomorrow....

Well tell them you cant play your balls (bowling veriety) have developed Flat spots :wh..

At whic point enjoy ...

PG ...