Such a contrast.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I'm thinking here of the change of attitude towards Carp. Fifty years ago many anglers considered the capture of a Carp ''especially in the twenty pound bracket, a great achievement''.
How different today, it seems that many regard them as a nuisance and that's putting it mildly. Many voicing the opinion that they are being stocked everywhere to the detriment of other species.
Does anyone have an opinion on this?

mikench

Reaction score
I am always happy to catch a carp although when I specifically try to do so I fail and when I do not I do!;) They certainly "hang on " as Matt Hayes used to say!

When I can fish two rods I am happy to set up the carp rod and just forget it! I can then concentrate on pursuing roach, Rudd or perch with lighter tackle either on the feeder or float!

I have yet to conclude the catching of any species is a nuisance!;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I only dislike carp when they are stocked into an existing water to the detriment of other, existing, species. Anything else is fair game. Yes, they can be frustrating when you are fishing for other species with light tackle, but no more than barbel can be on a river, pike when you are fishing for bits, trout when you are after grayling or bream when you are fishing for almost anything but!;):D

thecrow

Reaction score
Carp are certainly more readily available to angler compared to when I first fished for them during the middle ages :D this imo could be down to several factors not least that anglers want to catch them, fishery owners want to stock them as they can withstand periods of poor water quality and the tackle trade just love them.

There is no doubt that carp have bred a different type of angler, ones that would think strett pegging was something to do with hanging washing out but I don't see that as a problem so long as they are not affecting other anglers pleasure as there are inconsiderate anglers in all branches of angling.

I don't like to see them referred to as mud pigs, there are plenty of other species that could receive the same name as lots of their natural food is contained in mud and a well proportioned carp is imo just as good to look at as any other fish.

Maybe those that bemoan the spread of carp should try fishing rivers or would that be just a bit more difficult than complaining about what I see as just another species ;)

nottskev

Reaction score
Of course, it depends on what type of fishing and what type of water a person enjoys. And a standard answer would be "it's all down to individual choice". There's a lot of truth in that, but there are, nonetheless, a number of ways in which the carp/commercial explosion impacts on anglers who would choose, as far as possible, something different.

Some general fisheries with previously well-balanced stocks have been thrown right out of kilter by the short-sighted introduction of a stock of carp. Rapidly growing to a size that over-powers the tackle needed for the other species, they come to feed intended for other fish, smash your gear and trash your swim. Several club ponds I used to fish are now ruled out, for me, by the dominance of carp.

In terms of the availability of fishing gear, while some will argue that carp have saved the tackle industry, my experience has been that manufacturers catering to the dominant commercial styles produce less and less of the kind of rods that I'd be interested in owning.

More abstractly, my feeling is that the more "steroidal" model of fishing that's grown around carp commercials - bigger fish and bigger hauls, heavier tackle, more brutal methods exploiting fish driven to compete by stocking density, more soulless environment designed for convenience and easy results etc etc - will change the way fishing is conceived and practised.

I also think, just my opinion of course, that the allure of the carp-based commercial has resulted in fewer anglers being bothered about the condition of "public" waters such as our rivers, and in fewer buying into the clubs which play a role in maintaining and being "watchdog" for natural fisheries.

I'm thinking mainly of the role of carp in general coarse fisheries - bagging up with stockies , as the lingo goes. I recognise that trying to catch big carp from challenging waters is as skilful and interesting as any form of angling. And it's not the carp's fault - it's the way we are using carp as a commodity in the fishing business of today.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Carp are just another fish that for some reason is treated as the saviour of angling, the god fish. In fact they are now so easy to catch at all weights they are nothing special at all. Just look at the carp record is anyone now interested in it?
Big carp are no harder to catch than big fish of all species just because like all big fish there are less of them.
The one thing that does wind me up with carp is the carp angler that thinks and treats every one else and their fish with disdain.

dicky123

Reaction score
Derek.

At one time 60/70/80/90 anglers would travel to fish places like Tring, Redmire, Avon for those big fish. Now we have big fish, especially carp close to home. Near me if your willing to pay about £50 a visit, your ontop of carp of 50lb plus. No need to travel, you can buy results, you know the fish are their.

For me honestly, I’d rather catch a mid-double from the Trent with no name. I still love small lakes and ponds with the biggest carp being 10lb, all day long never get tired of fish pulling my light line.

Go post mate.

seth49

Reaction score
Don’t mind carp at all, good big fish that fight well, usually have a sleeper rod out for them, while I’m float or feeder fishing.
And then in the evening I’ll put two rods out for them, for the last couple of hours.
The only thing we’re i go, is there are six ponds and they all contain carp, just wish one at least had tench, crucian, and silvers, and no carp, do tend to fish heavier tackle because of this.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’ve never lost the liking for catching carp – I also don't fish these ‘overstocked commercials’. Every carp I’ve caught has had to be worked for at Burghfield lake, Yateley, Frimley, the Wraysburys, Thorney Weir, etc. . .My fondest memories will always be Billing during the 60’s though (no decent size carp in the Colne Valley then) where we travelled to Northants every weekend during the season to fish for the very large carp present in very difficult (but sometimes rewarding) conditions. Billing was stocked the same year as Redmire (1932 I believe) with the same Leny strain of fish which explains why fish of 20, .30 and even a 40 came out during the 60’s (and a certain gent who a few on here will know/know of) had some big 20s to mid 30s during the late 50.s

Mostly now I prefer to catch them in the margins of off the top on local gravel pits, from the rivers or by mistake when crucian fishing................

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well tomorrow, once again I will go to a local silvers lake that also has smallish, to 12lb or so, commons.

Hopefully get a few bites and a bend in the match rod. It's going to be that or.......sit on the flooded very cold local rivers and hope for a bite in the freezing cold.

There is another lake alongside, with carp only to about 25lb.

I enjoyed my challenge for big carp, as written about on FM a few years ago. Haven't been after them "properly" since, though some nice 20+ ones caught after tasting perch intended prawns.

Fun on a match rod/float set-up. Would get very bored catching F1's in true puddles.

peterjg

Reaction score
When I started targeting carp in the 70s carp anglers were quite rare and they were thought of by most other anglers as being a bit weird, waiting days and even weeks for a run.

I carp fished the Colne Valley pits for decades, then they held the biggest carp in the country but now big carp (35lb plus) are available almost everywhere.

Now I hold carp and trout in the same way - they are a blooming nuisance and wreck your swim when roach fishing!

john step

Reaction score
I am having trouble in writing my thoughts in response to this post. I enjoy fishing for carp in my local syndicate water. They are not big by most standards.18 Is my biggest but they are not easy and they pull like mad in the deep clear water.

Another water is too heavily stocked and its a challenge to catch the crucians,perch and roach. These carp I don't enjoy fishing for unless its the odd outing in the winter when even they become difficult.

There is such a range of types of carp fishing from commies to pits and they are all referred to as carp fishing that it is no wonder that there is often the odd beginner on FM quite confused and asking what is actually meant.

As to the question of spoiling fisheries with carp I feel some fisheries are spoilt by overstocking but that seems to be what the majority want otherwise the club would not pander to them.

Luckily there is the alternative of rivers being largely unaffected for the other anglers.
I think the bubble will burst and other trends will emerge illustrated by the fact THAT I SEE TOO MANY OTHER BLOOMING ANGLERS IN CERTAIN PLACES FISHING FOR MY PIKE:D:D:D:D:eek:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have to admit to being one that regards Carp as an invasise pest species .

I do catch them yes i do not target them there are too many waters that have been ruined by carp and certain members of their chasing pack .

I fish normally with absolute tops 6lb line so i do not want 20lb plus fat blobs taking my bait i want brean tench roach rudd perch .
I know it aint possible now but i would like to see them removed compleyelt from some waters and the waters put back to good Pre Carp days ...

PG ...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Marmite fish to me. When i am after tench or crucians they are a bloody nuisance...but this year i had a go at targetting them specifically and thoroughly enjoyed meself. I would not want to do it to the exclusion of everything else and i am utterly disinterested in fish in the 4-6-8 lb bracket. I had 4-5 weeks at them, caught a few decent ones which was the plan and that was enough. They are not hard but it was something new and different for me which I enjoyed.

That said....when they totally dominate a water to the extent that you cannot get through them to other species is when they frustrate and ultimately bore the pants off me. I mean...how many commy sized carp can anyone want to catch ? I could not fish for run of the mill sized carp week in week out and honestly cannot get my head round what people that do get out of that.

Those that target big carp I can admire even if i dont want to do it myself. Having dabbled a bit i do now get the attraction of a big fully scaled common (say). They can be fabulous looking fish.

My mate Big Dave winkled one out from a pretty hard water on New Years Eve. 25lb 9oz fs common which is not a big carp in big carp terms but what a stunning looking fish. Those i dont mind

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
For sure the image of Carp has changed. I see them as being victims of their own success. As with anything that becomes too successful it will have its detractors.

The reality is Fishing magic is also not a representative site and biased negatively towards Carp.

For example I often see comments such as it mind numbing to go out and catch say 20 modest Carp but go and catch 20 small roach & is considered the epitome of skill and fine angling.

I also continually see people on Fishing Magic say Carp anglers sneer and look down on other fish yet I see more people here on FM sneering and putting down Carp than I have ever heard Carp anglers putting down other fish in my entire life.

Its very strange.

As for there being too many Carp, the fact is if more people wanted to fish for Tench or Crucians or Roach then we would see more waters with just Tench or Crucians or Roach but we dont because the Tench and Crucian and Roach anglers dont want to put their hands in their pockets like the Carp anglers do.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As for there being too many Carp, the fact is if more people wanted to fish for Tench or Crucians or Roach then we would see more waters with just Tench or Crucians or Roach but we dont because the Tench and Crucian and Roach anglers dont want to put their hands in their pockets like the Carp anglers do.

Not sure i agree with that. I think there is a big demand for that sort of water but in the heyday and rise of the carp filled commercial just about every puddle was filled with carp to the detriment of other species. I can think of several waters where good tench fishing was to be had where you would now b extremely lucky to catch tench at all. They are full of carp.

I dont think the angling press helps either with its carp orientated saturation ....mind you when there is pretty well buqqer all else to be caught i guess thats understandable. The balance is all wrong but i dont think theres much that can be done about it as the pasties of yesteryear are now great big lumps and thats true of many waters. Too many have been stocked and like hemp once youve put too much in you cant take it out.

I dont think cost is an issue at all. Its like everything nowadays....you can do virtually whtever you like as long as you are prepared to pay for it. It might move people around a bit but if you fish then, on the whole, you will have to pay someone for the privilege.

terry m

Reaction score
An interesting thread with, in the main polarised views.

Firstly I will disregard commercials as I have have nil interest in them, but what in my view is proper carp fishing be that on a huge pit or an estate lake is really enjoyable to me. If it weren’t for the behaviour of a minority of carp anglers I believe that carp angling would have fewer detractors. But it really is just a minority in my experience.

Like others I fished for carp back in the 1970’s and it was tough going. A double was rewarding, a twenty was huge. What changed. The arrival of the hair rig changed everything and made catching carp so much easier, and therefore a more attractive proposition. We should not forget that same rig has also made catching barbel, tench and chub easier too.

I certainly don’t see carp as an invasive species, not after the amount of time they have been present in our waters generally. When it comes to specific waters where owners/clubs have taken the conscious decision to stock carp, ask yourself the question why. As with most things in life supply and demand figure somewhere in the decision chain.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think the bubbles burst a bit around the record carp and just big carp, there's no aura or mystique around it anymore, its a bit like another carp record/big fish and its "so what". How many pics have I seen of a bloke holding a big lump, thousands now, its become so mediocre and the record; just lost interest in it...
There's no wow there to my mind anymore and a 1lb gudgeon would cause more excitement or a 5lb roach; I would buy a mag with that headline.
So that's a big contrast from what once was.
If anglers just want to fish for carp, no problem I have fished for them and love it on the right day and the right place but its a not big deal anymore. except river carp maybe, I find that a big challenge still, hope they never try making our rivers carp waters. I would hate that, introducing thousands of carp into a small river, a line should be drawn at that.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
One of my clubs removed over 2500 smaller carp from one of its underfished waters in order to make it a better fishery. As it made it a better fishery, not really in my eyes because they restocked with bigger carp it’s now just another run of the mill specimen carp lake.