Really light bank sticks?

Another Dave

Reaction score
In an effort to keep my kit as light as possible i'm wondering if bank sticks are all made of metal. If i ever set up with a chair and rod rests then i'll be right on the river's edge, so even in the height of summer i just need to sink into mud.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A sort of loose rule of mine is one of everything for my light fishing and one bank stick is enough and its small and thin; I just want something to prop the rod up. If the banks clean cut I leave the rod poking out over the bank and propped up the butt end or, sometimes rest the rod on the chair arm if its the other way round. Sometimes there is a bit of bank vegetation to prop the rod although make sure the line cannot snag on something or if I really need it, usually I can find a forked stick.
Anyway, I just find one is enough with a bit of improviso if I want to keep things light. Which is not saying you shouldn't buy some light ones as suggested, why not.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Dinesmores arrow point sticks! They come in various lengths, they are strong and light and can be hammered in if necessary!

flightliner

Reaction score
If u don't like what's been reccamended by previous posters make your own.
Simply take the arms from a big "specimen" landing net if you can find one and fix shop bought vee heads , then simply file a point on the other end.
Chances are they may just be fibre glass but they will bear more "hammer" bankside and the weight difference is negligible.
I made a pair from an old net frame thrown in the undergrowth on a gravel pit some years ago and they are fine for any roving days.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are a few brands of "carbon" banksticks out there. Just be wary of paying through the nose for those that are just a carbon effect.

I have some of the old Solar carbon sticks, bought for comparatively little when they were sold off. Their demise was brought about because people deemed them not to be real carbon. I haven't a clue what they really are, but they are strong, thin and stupidly light. The added bonus was the carpers, that they were aimed at, didn't really want the long models, or the extensions. Now it's a few years since their demise, second hand prices are easily exceeding the clearance prices.

Another Dave

Reaction score
There are a few brands of "carbon" banksticks out there. Just be wary of paying through the nose for those that are just a carbon effect.

Yes that's what i discovered when i started searching, virtually everything is 'carbon effect'.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As Mike said dinsmores do some light ones. I have two different types, a heavy duty one with a serious screw in point and a much thinner lighter version which also has a screw in point.
If your only after using one rest you could do as i've often done and use an alloy extending landing net/bankstick handle which can be pushed into the ground. I rest the rod on the landing net head and have even bent the net head into a suitable shape so the rod won't fall off easily, it works really well !

iain t

Reaction score
All my rod rest poles are Dinesmores arrow point sticks. Cheap, light but very strong. Had them for more years that i can remember. For the money, you can't go wrong buying these.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Korum cam lock are light and also are cygnet do some narrow ones but are light . Has 2 thumb scews on side . Fox ones are quite heavy and I have bent them and no good as a telescopic bank stick now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kenpm

Reaction score
Shakespeare sell very basic thin fibreglass rod rests with a V top glued on that weigh less than the metal versions and cost about £1