Absolute contempt.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Whilst out fishing this past Wednesday on a canal towpath, I was approached by a lady walking two dogs, both were muzzled and on leashes. She asked me,''what was that fish you just caught''. I explained that it wasn't a fish but a lure I was using to fish with. As I turned to explain it was then I noticed one of her mutt's was having a dump right by my left foot whilst she stood watching.
I saw red and let her have both barrels, she huffed and puffed while walking away. I'm still not over it, now you tell me is that not utter contempt?
I am not adverse to picking up discarded line, bait packets etc, but I'll be damned if I'm going to clean up after dogs.

flightliner

Reaction score
I had my sandwiches nicked from my ruccy by a pair of Dalmations a few years back Derek, when I asked the female in charge why she couldnt control her dogs I was lambasted for being cruel to fish.
I told her it was a case of kettle calling the frying pan grimy arse as she was doing much worse by subjecting a poor animals to do her bidding not its own and while on the subject would she mind going to the nearest shop to buy me food for the rest of the day.
That was refused outright (fully expected) and off she trotted still giving me verbal when she was over fifty yards away.
Also had both rods knocked off their rests by two huge beasts and the owner (another female) just laughed.
Last year I heard a voice saying "another - - - -" and looking up a guy waltzed past with an alsation to the next swim and began throwing sticks into the water for it to retrieve ---loads of space further on but no, he'd been inconvenienced by two - - - -s fishing so I doubt he was in any mood to listen to anyone.
Then theres the picking up business, many do but at the first chance they dump their little bags behind a tree when they are out of sight, sometimes see bags hanging in bushes!
I genuinely like dogs, but some-- not all - owners are horrible!
Rant over----

For now.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
The perils of fishing next to a public footpath! I've had several episodes of munching and dumping dogs but generally no real problem.

Almost two years ago I had a very special chub, turned out to be my heaviest ever at 7:11. I was fishing part of a well known day ticket venue where the public footpath is right alongside the swims. It took an age to finally coax the fish to my end of the swim and somewhere near netting range. When I first glimpsed it, it was clearly a huge fish. A couple more glimpses and then a very big splash as a black Lab hurled itself into the river alongside me :eek: Turned out all OK in the end but not sure how I would have reacted had I lost the fish!

On a good note, on another session, two dogs ran amok around my tackle peeing everywhere, knocking over bits and pieces and like "Flight" scoffed some of my sandwiches. The lady owner did apologise and about 45 minutes later returned with both dogs on leads and passed me a cup of coffee and sandwiches she'd got from the reasonably close shop :)

steve2

Reaction score
Why do people assume that just because they like dogs everybody else does? I for one can't stand the things but have to appear too because every one else does. Lost count of the amount of dogs that have jumped at me and the owner saying its OK it wont bite you.
I believe there should be a law that states no dogs allowed in all public places unless guide dogs or assistance dogs.
That's my rant for the day.

Now off to a friends funeral

thecrow

Reaction score
I believe there should be a law that states no dogs allowed in all public places unless guide dogs or assistance dogs.

Its the owners not the animals fault, dogs are part of our life whether we own one or not, all the Bull Terriers I have owned have been obedient animals the reason for that is simple, its because they are treated like a dog not some child replacement by owners, they know their place within our pack, don't get me wrong they are well treated and loved as they should be but to say they should not be allowed in public places? where does that stop? horses on roads? homing pigeons settling on the ground? Greyhound tracks.

Maybe there shouldn't be any fish in waters in public places because they attract anglers that harm dogs by leaving rubbish where they have been fishing causing damage to the dog?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Dogs can be a nuisance but never had one dump near me. I would tell the owners I will be calling the local council straight away if not cleared up. Fines can be huge.

Most dogs will move away with a clap of the hands.

Regarding anti angling. I tend to explain to those that we are in fact guardians of the rivers, highlighting any pollution and also that we often keep birds alive during harsh winters. This especially so on popular places where Spring and Summer feeding artificially increases populations.

I'm sure it has helped sometimes.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Derek at the front of my house there is a grass verge that belongs to me and is adjacent to the lane.

I was stood there a week ago waiting for the taxi to take me to the airport when a chap from the village came by with his dog.

He stopped to ay "hello" and his dh took the opportunity to take a dump right on my grass no more than 5 feet from me.

When the dog has finished he then started to walk off and only when I asked him if he intended to leave it there did he consider using the bag in his hands to clear it up.

So, yes, absolutely contemptible!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only the other day I was sat on the couch eating my breakfast and my mrs came in the room and shouted "what do you think your doing", as I looked round a pup Chi had jumped on the couch next to me and was looking over it's shoulder smiling at me as it squeezed out a turd......deffo absolute contempt!

Regarding people who let their dogs run over to you and jump up on you etc, they're ignorant barstewards who probably let fireworks off etc with no regard for anyone else.

rich66

Reaction score
Bad owners not bad dogs are my thoughts, but so many people these days take the “ I’m alright Jack” approach to life, that I’m not surprised in the slightest.
Why have a dog if your not prepared to pick up after it ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Its the owners not the animals fault, dogs are part of our life whether we own one or not

My thoughts as well.

Firstly, I’ve been a dog owner most of my life but it never ceases to amaze me just how many owners are inconsiderate feckwits who either are incapable or can’t be bothered to train their dogs/keep them under control. Below is a ‘cut and paste’ from a post a few years ago, just one of many unwelcome encounters. Thankfully, out here in the 'wilds', I have never come across people or dogs whilst fishing........

'He's just trying to be friendly' as the soaking wet Old English Sheepdog leaps all over you and and your gear goes flying into the river after an hour and a half of pre-baiting prior to casting a line. 'Still, good job you haven't started fishing yet mate'.....................

mikench

Reaction score
The sooner licences are brought back the better ! I cannot abide badly behaved dogs much like their owners!:rolleyes:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Some years ago I was fishing "The Church Shallows" on Lymm Dam when a dog owner decided to go more or less 5 yards away from me and started throwing a stick in the water for his dog to go and fetch, shouting at the top of his voice "Go on fetch boy", after a couple of throws and me getting sprayed with water when the dog was shaking itself dry, I politely informed him that the next time the ball went in the water, the dog would be staying on the bank and he would be fetching it, He decided the dog had had enough and went,