Migrants slung off the Lea.

Reaction score
A guy I know(a carp angler)was tending his allotment in Batford,on the banks of the Lea(near Tescos)when he and fellow allotment holder disturbed two Polish/European guys netting the river,they told them to clear off,nice eh,to give our friends freedom to plunder...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They should be arrested, charged and deported!

Hold on just a mo Mr.Solicitor.

It does raise an interesting question, well for me it does. We know that to take fish from a privately owned Stillwater is theft, taking a "certain" number of fish from a river isn't. The Lea is as far as I know a river and within it there are the navigation stretches, is that considered a canal and does a canal allow the freedom to take a limit of fish as a river does?

For the record M'Lud, I completely agree with your sentiments.

john step

Reaction score
My recollection is that this stretch of the river is a very narrow one and miles upstream of any navigation issues. More a stream .
All of the river Lea here will be bordered by private land.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hold on just a mo Mr.Solicitor.

It does raise an interesting question, well for me it does. We know that to take fish from a privately owned Stillwater is theft, taking a "certain" number of fish from a river isn't. The Lea is as far as I know a river and within it there are the navigation stretches, is that considered a canal and does a canal allow the freedom to take a limit of fish as a river does?

For the record M'Lud, I completely agree with your sentiments.

Err, mr s63, it's illegal to net a riiver.
Obviously your a antifa mind set.........:rolleyes:.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, thank tou for that. :thumbs:

thecrow

Reaction score
A guy I know(a carp angler)was tending his allotment in Batford,on the banks of the Lea(near Tescos)when he and fellow allotment holder disturbed two Polish/European guys netting the river,they told them to clear off,nice eh,to give our friends freedom to plunder...

Be careful about mentioning EEs breaking the law by netting a river or you will have another member of FM accusing you of being racist.

Mike is correct in my opinion that they should be deported, but then the bleeding hearts that have ruined our society would be up in arms about it.

nottskev

Reaction score
Be careful about mentioning EEs breaking the law by netting a river or you will have another member of FM accusing you of being racist.

Mike is correct in my opinion that they should be deported, but then the bleeding hearts that have ruined our society would be up in arms about it.

Getting many bites, Graham? :wh

jasonbean1

Reaction score

I think its about time you became an angling trust embassador

thecrow

Reaction score
I think its about time you became an angling trust embassador

What and achieve what they have? You cant have read my posts on the Wangling Truss, I say what I think within this sites T&Cs if I am blunt and to the point sorry but I wont change that I don't believe in beating around the bush.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
What and achieve what they have? You cant have read my posts on the Wangling Truss, I say what I think within this sites T&Cs if I am blunt and to the point sorry but I wont change that I don't believe in beating around the bush.

only pullin your leg...im fully aware of your opinions on the AT'r :)

Molehill

Reaction score
I'm not defending them but.... given our history of poaching in the UK it is rather pot calling kettle black!

Going way back our game angling rivers were netted, poisoned, gaffed by our citizens. Only about 25 years ago a good friend was an enforcement officer on the Wye, they used to drift down the river with a drag behind the boat, pulling out nets all down the river (for salmon). Gangs from England and Wales were doing very nicely out of the proceeds.

Strangely nobody mentioned deportation to Australia!

mikench

Reaction score
Sadly it wasn't available and in any event the aussies wouldn't have had them!

My comments about deportation apply to any lawbreakers and not just poachers!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
River fish are indeed deemed to be 'ferae naturae' (or 'wild animals') and are not owned by anyone . . . . . even any club that may, or may not, have the rights to fish on a particular stretch and definitely not a riparian owner.

So, if the taking of fish right? No, of course not.

Is it indeed reprehensible? Absolutely it is, in most cases

Would most decent anglers ever take fish?

Well now that, as they say is the 64,000 dollar question . . . .

Regardless, does the "crime" warrant imprisonment, deportation or worse?

No, it doesn't!

mikench

Reaction score
Poaching blights rural communities, resulting in serious loss of income for shooting estates and fisheries. But it is not simply a matter of property and theft; it also threatens public safety, undermines conservation efforts and causes major animal welfare issues.

Netting is indiscriminate and illegal Just like robbing banks! Serious and organised crime is involved and punishment should reflect the crime but seldom does!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
While I wouldn't argue over the consequences of mass poaching (for example as we experienced in the latter half of the 19th century) I could make a case that it is hardly as common a practice as some attempt to make out.

In fact the word "pettifogging" springs to mind . . . .

Poaching has been an inherent part of country life for centuries.

As I said, the taking of fish from a river is wrong in my view and the culprits should have their equipment confiscated and given a heavy fine . . . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
All irrelevant really as the chances of them being caught are about the same as my hair growing back.

Twice my lad has found nets in the Nene he phoned the EA and got the usual response i.e. nowt.

Imo the onlyway to deter this practice is by deportation if not a British subject and massive fines if they are.